DIY Hood, Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gimincorp

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,
I just bought a 10 Gallon saltwater tank.
I've heared it needs about 4 WpG for live rock to thrive. So I plan to convert to an acrylic hood with dual lighting unit.
So far:
1. Found a strip of clear plastic.
2. Cut a piece of it with a saw and drill to accomodate for filter intake.

What needs to be done:
1. Glue a cover extension to the cover of my Penguin 125 biowheel filter to prevent it from splashing on the lighting fixture. (I'll use old milk jag to cut a plastic strip and aquarium silicon glue).
2. Combine 2 Lighting fixtures into one: One currently in use is a two-bulb, another is PC. - pending parts like screws and nuts and completion of Filter adjustment.

Complications: due to the lighting taking ALL the space above the cover, only a small slit is left on the back of the tank to feed the fish. Anemone feeding will have to be performed by removal of the light & hood should this project be fully implemented.

LR is just porouts rock that is colonized by nitrifying bacteria. It's also a good place for all sorts of critters to live, as aplace to attach corals.

LR by itself does not need much light. Nor does coraline algea. Corals will need light, though they thrive in a variety of lighting condiitons, depending on your selection.

An anemone should not be placed into a tank until it iw mature (8 months to a year) with proper lighting and room for it to grow. I'm not sure a 10 gallon is the best place for one.

It sounds like this unit is also going to be a cover on the tank. That's generally a bad idea as it interferes with the free exchange of CO2 and oxygen that occurs at the water surrface. This could cause you have a low pH condition.

oh, and WELCOME to AA :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom