Diy slates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Where can I find some light weight slate stones to make a cave or two. The slate in the river in my area is kinda flakey and I don't trust it in my tank. Would a landscaping store have some also light weight.

Slate tiles are the easiest to work with and you may be able to pick up some that are broken or an open box to save a bit. Slate is flaky by nature.

garden centre, almost all have them. im getting some tomorrow to do a diy cave. it might not be called slate, but it should look like large pieces of it. give it a good wash and get some defo aquarium safe silicone xx

Lowe's or Home Depot in the garden centers. They sell slate as flagstones. Cheap and you can break the pieces into the sizes you need with a hammer and chisel. It would help if you can use a stone drill bit to drill small holes to guide the places you want it to break. (y)

Retired_AF said:
Lowe's or Home Depot in the garden centers. They sell slate as flagstones. Cheap and you can break the pieces into the sizes you need with a hammer and chisel. It would help if you can use a stone drill bit to drill small holes to guide the places you want it to break. (y)

Awesome info, exactly the info I wanted. The second I get paid I'm going straight to the depot. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom