DIY Tank Instructions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks fish 4 all. i still have some questions.
lets say theres a table. its flat obviously. the bottom of the tank (when its all put together) the bottom DOES NOT touch the table? right? I should suspend the bottom at least 1/2 inch from the table?

The strips that support. they go on the inside and do not overlap each other but there edges touch? and they goe all around the tank? does that support the light and hood too? and another strip from front to back for more support? i think i got this right. lol

The bottom of the tank should NOT touch the table! 1/2 inch is the highest you should have to go to prevent the glass from bowing far enough to touch the stand you put it on. 1/4 inch might work but I would make it 1/2.

The strips are on top of the sides, not inside them. They do touch each other and are siloconed at the seems, or should be anyway. The strip from front to back in the middle will be on top of the other strips in the middle of the tank or the strips can be cut so they are all level put together like a puzzle. I guess it really doesn't matter which ones are longer, across the front or across the sides. All the pieces just need to cover the edges so they have axtra support and a place to put the lights. I would also make sure I have a top to the tank that covers the entire tank.

This does pose a problem for a HOB filter. I would "guess" that you can leave an openning in one of the pieces of glass across the back the width of the HOB filter or the area you need for the tube of a canister filter. This should not affect the strength of the glass. Just make sure you make the tank to support whatever you want to do in the tank while reinforcing it across the top.

Acrylic can be flat on the desk.

One more thing, when I build my tank, to accomodate for easier cleaning I will slant the bottom so it tilts toward either front, back or one side. This gets all the debris to one side and helps the filter get it all sucked up.

Best piece of advice, build a 20 gallon tank first so you know what you are doing before building a monster. I will build 3 tanks, progressively larger, 35,75-100 and then my huge tank whenever I get the room to actually handle it. Will post a drawing, very rough one in a couple hours.

Thank you so much Fish 4 all.
All my confusion has been clearified.
I am going to take you advie and build a small tank first. but i am going to go with Acrylic. just because i can get the material cheaper than glass through my friend that works at ACE hardware and because its lighter and it seems easier to put together.
Thanks again. i will post my progress in the DIY forum when i have the materials.

Ok i need help with something else now. what is the best sealant/adhesive for the acrylic tank? i went to ace hardware but they didnt have anything and i also checked with lowes and they had no clue. im looking for acrylic ceament. but its nowere to be fond if anyone knows of a good brand. or certain store where i can buy it at let me know. thanks.

Just make sure that when you get the acrylic it is as smooth as it can possibly be. Any pits from cutting will cause weak spots and leaks, I know I tried to make a couple dozen small tanks and have never gotten one water tight. It might be my glue or just the lousy cuts but it would never seal tight. Just remember, get everything perfectly set up before gluing, the more times you have to glue, the weaker the seals become as it melts the plastic.

Good luck and I definately want to see pictures.

as soon i have the glue in i will start taking pics. and i just received my Filstar XP3 in the mail for this tank too. IM EXCITED! lol

VERY VERY IMPORTANT:
When gluing together the acrylic. do you fist tape/clamp the tank together then glue the touching seams OR do you place acrylic cement on the edge and then "sandwich" the glue inbetween the two pieces and then clamp/tape the tank togeher?
Need to know. I'm going to pick up my acrylic Friday.

ace1uno_00.. there are multiple ways of glueing acrylic.. I would research them before gluing the tank together.. putting it together and dripping the sealant in is capillary.. most common, easisest to perform and most likely to leak! melting some acrylic into the sealant and then clamping the pieces is called something else and is going to more likely not leak.. what type of sealant did you get.. was it numbered.. the grades are based on how much acrylic is in it already.. sorry if this is too late!! 8O

No its not too late. I'm still researching. i have the acrylic and all the sealant. But not yet ready to construct the tank. (i dont feel confident in my gluing skills yet)
I have Tap plastics Acrylic cement and Tap plastics Wel-On #16. and a little bootle with a thin needle tip. I think im going to use the capillary method. but im not sure...

the #16 stuff is pretty thick already im guessing you knew it wasnt the stuff for the capilary method when you got a look at it. Ill be honest with you and tell ya I havnt done a overflow box yet..lol That would be my first acrylic project.. you guys going for tanks first are jumping in head first!...LOL. Good Luck!.. :D

Last night i made a little one gallon tank its 8 inches by 6 inches.
I came out pretty good. im Actualy going to use it for a Betta. the #16 is for uneven spots in the acrylic obviously not for capillary.
Diving into things head first is the best way to learn if you're really dedicated to it....

Thanks a lot for that link. I've read simular.
I'm almost ready to start the tank. i might even do the front with bent corners because it would involve less gluing. but i don't know yet.

Back
Top Bottom