Help working with acrylic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltyH2O

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 72 gallon all glass aquarium now. However, eventually I want to go bigger, much bigger. I'm thinking 250 plus. I have not looked into the pros and cons of building my own acrylic tank but I'm thinking i will save $$. I have a shop full of woodworking tools and experience working with wood. I know it's not exactly like working with acrylic that's why I'm starting this thread. Anybody have DIYed an acrylic tank that could offer some advise or tell me it's not worth it? I have done some research online and doesn't seem too difficult just have to have some patience but would like to hear from a few of my aquarium advice DYIer's who has actually done this. Thanks

I've not built a tank with acrylic but I have worked with it building displays and things like in retail stores.
1st tip, leave the protective paper on as long as possible. This helps to avoid scratches. Also make sure to use very sharp tools when cutting/routing it. Buy a carbide blade for your skilsaw or table saw and if you're using a router, make sure your bits are clean and sharp and the bearings are good (if applicable).
Bonding is easy with a little practice. If you buy from a plastics shop, ask for some scraps to practice and usually they'll give you some.
I don't have much input for the aquarium side though and would be anxious to see what others have to say.

Back
Top Bottom