I need suggestions on tank stand I built

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaredsmonroe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. I haven't had a tank since 2000 and got a great deal on a 175 gallon I could not pass up. I decided to make a stand vs buy one. It is 40" tall x 73" long x 19"deep. I plan on having the covering, (skin) extend up an inch above the top of the stand to hide the bottom of the tank a little and to keep it in place. I used 2x4's and #2, 3" screws. Now I am jittery about the stand being able to hold the aquarium when full. Any suggestions I could do to make it better so far?
Thanks for any input,
Jared

Attachments

• IMG_20170409_212147.jpg
    IMG_20170409_212147.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20170409_212222.jpg
    IMG_20170409_212222.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20170320_090359~2.jpg
    IMG_20170320_090359~2.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 87
Maybe a center brace in the front. Other than that looks like it would hold a tank, an army tank that is. You should see my factory built stand for a 135 gallon. Tank, water, and decorations probably weighs 1,500 pounds total. It is no where as beefy as that. Here is a pic I took today. It is built from all 1 by lumber. I may add a little additional support to mine just for piece of mind though.

Attachments

• IMG_5623.jpg
    IMG_5623.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 81
Thanks for your input! You suggested a center brace in the front. So if it is going to have 3 doors, would I need 3 posts or braces in the front then?
I like the lip on your stand, I hope mine comes out that nice! Looks like you are sanding it?
:thanks:
Jared

Yup! I would make those 3 post heavy duty. Though.built my stand for my 75g and I swear I could park a truck on it.

Your stand looks solid as is...
My 180 stand has no support in the middle NO tanks need them.. Well maybe Deep Blue ?
All weight goes to corners ..
My 120 stand doesn't even have a horizontal rail on back...It is reef ready so didn't need the board in the way...
When you look at old angle iron stands it could not be clearer..They all belly in the middle providing no support at all..My 75 can fit a quarter and dime in the middle between tank and stand...
The lip is going to make placing the tank on stand rough on your fingers...
Ask me how I know?
If you do additional supports in front in between the doors it will be super handy if they can come out...Again ask me how I know.....
Nice job on the build,no need to second guess it..

Your stand looks solid as is...
My 180 stand has no support in the middle NO tanks need them.. Well maybe Deep Blue ?
All weight goes to corners ..
My 120 stand doesn't even have a horizontal rail on back...It is reef ready so didn't need the board in the way...
When you look at old angle iron stands it could not be clearer..They all belly in the middle providing no support at all..My 75 can fit a quarter and dime in the middle between tank and stand...
The lip is going to make placing the tank on stand rough on your fingers...
Ask me how I know?
If you do additional supports in front in between the doors it will be super handy if they can come out...Again ask me how I know.....
Nice job on the build,no need to second guess it..

Very true. Only reason I suggested it was to make hinge placement for doors simpler. Four doors instead of two giant doors. It could be a non-load like you said.

Thanks for your advise. I was not looking forward to tearing up my fingers placing it on the stand though...lol You mentioned you could put a quarter and a dime between the tank and the stand? I guess I have just been reading way too much and getting crazed over all the things articles stress about all the no-no's in fish tanks and stands. I felt the stand was safe until my "on-lookers" in the house made me second guess myself.....I must say though for not having any experience but the help of YouTube videos I have had fun with it! I decided to make a small cabinet on each end, fill it up in the garage and see what happens :)
Thanks so much!!

Lol.....I guess I did go overboard.....feel kinda silly now when I look at it. At least the plywood will cover up the thing!

Thank you everyone for your help, I really appreciate you taking the time to do so!!
Thanks, Jared

Back
Top Bottom