Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2017, 11:53 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Heres a sneek peek at what i was planning. I know to some this is tacky but keep in mind this tank is for my 2 year old daughter and will be in her room haha...
Click image for larger version

Name:	1486313619493.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	294437Click image for larger version

Name:	1486313626193.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	294438

Old 02-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm intrigued by this idea, and mulling it over for a new tank I'm planning in the not-too-distant future. I like adhering to the KISS principle, wherever possible and appropriate. The only really commercially-produced equipment required is a pump and some tubing. Two things I haven't yet completely resolved however, are overflow control and cleaning.

Assuming water moving between 2 chambers in a closed system needs a way to fail-safe the overflow, due primarily to the cleaning requirement, making this basically one issue, at root.

My new tank will be a long, low rectangle across the top of an entertainment system. An integrated filter on one end would be ideal for consistent flow and I think maybe not detract from the overall appearance too much in a tank like that.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:54 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsciTheOscar View Post
Yea, thats pretty close. You could neatly tuck the tubing to the corner between the rock and the glass and run it under the substrate.
I didn't leave enough clearance between the glass and the stone for the tubing, I had everything ready when I noticed the ugly tubing just hanging in front of the stone

the stone is siliconed in place, so removing it might either break the stone or break the glass I'm thinking of getting a tall plant to hide it
Old 02-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2411 View Post
I didn't leave enough clearance between the glass and the stone for the tubing, I had everything ready when I noticed the ugly tubing just hanging in front of the stone

the stone is siliconed in place, so removing it might either break the stone or break the glass I'm thinking of getting a tall plant to hide it
I just suggested that because it looked as though there was a space between the stone/glass. If you're real worried about it, im sure if you used a razorblade and removed a few points if not all the silicone on one side, you could reseal the stone/tubing/glass together. Of coarse itd have to be dry and given time to cure...

Obviously a simple dense plant would do the trick!
Old 02-10-2017, 05:31 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

Plant it is

the tank is already cycled, all levels are where they should be at and the 4 fish in there are happy so I don't want to go through all the hassle
Old 02-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh to answer your original question.

The stone I chose for the background kept the water cloudy for a few days, I had to keep changing the batting daily for a week or so, it kept coming out yellowish until it came clear.

I have batting, then filter media https://www.amazon.com/Govine%C2%AE-...dp/B01H6J22S0/ then batting again in the first chamber, then heater then bio balls and pump.

Water is always clear and API reports all levels where they need to be. I do a 10% water change per week when I vacuum the gravel. Then I have to clean the filter media in tank water, replace the batting and vacuum the filter side.

Easy process and the only ugly part is the tubing that I didn't account for while building the tank and when gluing the stone. Everything else is in the rear and no one sees it
Old 02-10-2017, 06:25 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Oh to answer your original question.

The stone I chose for the background kept the water cloudy for a few days, I had to keep changing the batting daily for a week or so, it kept coming out yellowish until it came clear.

I have batting, then filter media https://www.amazon.com/Govine%C2%AE-...dp/B01H6J22S0/ then batting again in the first chamber, then heater then bio balls and pump.

Water is always clear and API reports all levels where they need to be. I do a 10% water change per week when I vacuum the gravel. Then I have to clean the filter media in tank water, replace the batting and vacuum the filter side.

Easy process and the only ugly part is the tubing that I didn't account for while building the tank and when gluing the stone. Everything else is in the rear and no one sees it
Lets see the happy fish!! I like pics
Old 02-10-2017, 10:31 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular

No more tubing:
Old 02-10-2017, 10:33 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

Happy fish

I have 4 mollies and 1 algae eater
Old 02-10-2017, 10:53 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
No more tubing:
What tubing!? Haha =P
Old 02-27-2017, 12:27 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sump

Please keep us posted on your progress. I am in the beginning stages of creating a integrated sump. I have been considering some unconventional designs that allow maximum filtration while taking up the least amount of space. I can always resort to a traditional side or back wall sump.

design:
1. I am using a modified shape that you would find in a corner Hamburg Mattenfilter
2. Instead of the baffles being perpendicular to the wall, they are at an angle to were the baffles and the walls form a triangle.
3. Instead of having three horizontal sections, I will have the mech. filtration on top of a fluidized media (separated by a sponge or a piece of acrylic with holes drilled throughout. Finally it will go into the "out" chamber where it will be heated
4. here is a rough blue print

Any suggestions will help
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 10.47.22 AM.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	295602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 10.47.40 AM.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	295603  

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 10.51.43 AM.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	295604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 10.51.54 AM.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	295605  

Tags
ate, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com