New Tank...Building the Stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok Leak test done

leak test looks good so far...only found 2 small leaks....I stripped away the old seals and resealed the corners so there would be no fears. I am gonna leave the water in the tank for a couple of days for my own sanity.

Ok....now on to my newby with big tanks question....what would be the better scenerio....use the 3 predrilled openings for the sump and refuge or use a hang-on ???I have never used a refuge or a sump before but I have them now and not sure what the advantages or disadvantages of the predrilled or hang on...any help would be great

here are some pics of the tank full

Attachments

• Fish Tank 071.jpg
    Fish Tank 071.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 182
  • Fish Tank 070.jpg
    Fish Tank 070.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 176
  • Fish Tank 067.jpg
    Fish Tank 067.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 181
  • Fish Tank 069.jpg
    Fish Tank 069.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 46
Sumps and fuges add water volume to your system. That is a good thing. Having them below the tank allows you to have your heaters, probs and other equipment hidden from view.

Sumps and fuges add water volume to your system. That is a good thing. Having them below the tank allows you to have your heaters, probs and other equipment hidden from view.

That much I do understand...I guess I am trying to figure out if it is better to use the predrilled holes or not. is it easier or more complex? I don't mind doing the plumbing either way

Beautiful job on the stand!! I am terrible at staining. I couldnt stain my shirt if i did it on purpose. :p

That much I do understand...I guess I am trying to figure out if it is better to use the predrilled holes or not. is it easier or more complex? I don't mind doing the plumbing either way

Are you saying you have predrilled holes in your tank or the sump?

On the bottom glass? I would say those are for a closed loop and not for drain lines. Using them for flow would work. A friend of mine has a 450g tank with holes in the bottom glass and he uses it as a closed loop for flow.

I would say that is a closed loop for sure. The only way you could use those holes as overflows/drains is if you ran PVC to the surface level and I don't think that would look too good.

Those were more then likely used as flow. The center would be the drain that hooked directly to an external pump intake and the return from the pump was then plumbed to the other two holes.

I would say that is a closed loop for sure. The only way you could use those holes as overflows/drains is if you ran PVC to the surface level and I don't think that would look too good.

Those were more then likely used as flow. The center would be the drain that hooked directly to an external pump intake and the return from the pump was then plumbed to the other two holes.

wouldn't I still need to run pvc through the returns and drain?

You will need bulkheads for all three holes. From there you would plumb down to an external pump. The center to the intake of the pump and the other to to the return of the pump. You will need 3 shut-off valves for each of the three holes. You want shut-offs in case you need to replace the pump and for maintenance on the pump. Inside the tank the intake would need a strainer of some kind to keep fish and other things from being sucked into the pump. The returns would need some kind of diffuser like loc-line. You want to make sure that the plumbing inside the tank is above your sand bed. You can hide them with plumbing.

Ups sucks

ok so after waiting 9 days for an ebay delivery of my sump pump (mag9.5) I go out to my front porch to find a crunched box...inside that box are some shipping peanuts and a crunched box with my brand new DAMAGED mag pump. so ****** .....

Attachments

• Fish Tank 077.jpg
    Fish Tank 077.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Fish Tank 080.jpg
    Fish Tank 080.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Fish Tank 079.jpg
    Fish Tank 079.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Fish Tank 078.jpg
    Fish Tank 078.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited by a moderator:
Have you contacted UPS and made a claim? What did the ebay seller have to say?

That does suck! I think we have all been there at one point or another...

yes I contacted both. The seller gave me my 3 options. 1. wait for ups to refund (which is what I have to do because of money being tight right now) 2. buy another from him and get refund when it comes in. 3. buy one from someone else and get refund when ups sends it.....

he has (so far) been very quick to respond and was upset that UPS played football with my package.(NOT The first time either. I have had many damaged items come from UPS) .

So yes I am sure many people have been here before..

Now I am Impressed

This is my latest response from the seller!!

"Dear collectorbarry,

UPS uses a third party insurer that will not do anything but issue a check for the original transaction. UPS has chosen not to inspect the pump and they are processing the claim. If you can get the old pump back in the mail to me, I'll go ahead and ship the new pump when it arrives Tuesday. At least that way I'll be waiting on UPS instead of you and you'll have your pump sooner.

- captainaquarium"

That is impressive and I will definitely deal with him any time

Nice to hear of a place that provides good customer service.
Keep us updated.

PS...you going to the frag swap in Northampton on Nov 1?

Back
Top Bottom