new way 2 connect 2 tanks!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madchild24

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok i made one for my 10 but didnt take pics
fisrt u need a pvc elbow the 6 inches of pvc pipe the a elbow
the 12 inches of pipe then a elbow the 6 inches of pipe then and elbow.
take the 2 elbows that have the 6 inches of pipe attached to them but nothing else put one in each tank. next drill a hole in the 12 inch pipe and
put the intake of a cansiter filter in hole and silicon it (u might want to put sponge or wire over intake)
then slpit the outtake and put one outtake in each tank. plug on end of the pvc fill pvc with water and start pump unplug end
oh and make sure elbows are in water..
the fish can swim threw this easily my barbs love it!!!

I'm trying to picture it in my mind based on your description in the first post, but I don't understand your instructions. Could you clarify it a little bit, or perhaps post a picture?

lol mines a littel more high tech see with the filter in the pipes the water is moving in the pipe so the pipe doesnt get clogged or dirty
(diagram posted soon) i aint got a digital camera
yet :twisted:

I've seen these before and would probably do it if my tanks were the same height...

Has anyone figured out how to connect 2 tanks (in this case a 20g tall and a 10gal) that have different water heights?

I could easily set up a combined filter system, the trick is making a bridge that wouldn't need valves so that fish could go back and forth without getting chopped by a moving part. The only thing I've thought of so far would be raising the 10gallong so that the tops of the water levels were even... Wich would put the bottom of my 10 gallon WAY up in the air.

According to the highway link you could connect the tanks and then use your canister filter as a pump between the tanks.. the intake in one and the output into the other and the water flow would travel through the tube connecting the tanks keeping it clean.. you would just need to make sure that the pipe you use is big enough to handle the flow and not discourge fish from swimming through... :mrgreen:

I looked at it some more last night and it's just not gonna happen until I can put my 20 gallon on a shorter stand. Right now the top of the tank is about 6 inches over my head, wich would put a 10 gallon with a matching water level at about eye level for the substrate. My Pleco is cool, but I really don't need to see eye to eye with him.

madchild24 said:
lol mines a littel more high tech see with the filter in the pipes the water is moving in the pipe so the pipe doesnt get clogged or dirty
(diagram posted soon) i aint got a digital camera
yet :twisted:

The water will be moving in the other ones. The best way to do it is to put the filter inlet in one tank and the outlet in the other tank.

I don't think it is possible to do this with inequal water heights (short of sealing them and pressurising the air above one side...even then it probably wouldn't work)

Back
Top Bottom