Plywood tanks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aski247

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im curious of opinions on these types of tanks. Who all has them? How they work for you. How long these types of tanks can last? Is it really build it/seal it and it's good forever or..?

So it seems easy enough for me to build one along with the stand. With christmas and tax money right around the corner, this has become a real consideration of mine. Want to upgrade and get rid of 5 tanks all at once. Maybe only keeping a 75.

I don't know how many gallons it would be but I know the size I would like. 8'x3'x30".

I don't really know what size filtration something so massive would need. I do know a couple of fx5's will not be enough. As it would likely have VERY large fish in it. Arrow/SA cichlids/RTC..

Anyways it's a thought rattling around as of now. But it has some serious thought going behind it now after reading and seeing some builds. That and I know I can get the glass for dirt cheap or maybe free. I used to work for a glass/mirror company and it's one of my best friends family company. Thinking 2 pieces of 50"x32". Have some sort of support in the middle leaving two viewing panels. Also to create a easier water tight seal. I could always break down a 55 and reuse its glass to build the glass tops.

Let me know your thoughts, or ideas. I would like to keep it cheap/simple as I can, but not to the point of risking functionality.

This was my plan too with my taxes for my festae lol ill be following along to hear what people have to say :)

I seen a while back someone built one and used pond liner in it. I think that would last longer than the other stuff that's used. For the filtration I think a dual pump sump out of those 55g tanks would be the way to go.

I've never built one before but have thought about building one for stingrays so ill follow along to see what routes you take. :)

Plywood tanks are a definite possibility for those with skill to do it properly. You already have me concerned... cheap. Do it right and don't skimp on quality of materials and you should have one heck of a tank.

Finger lakes reef is the best place to check out builds and DIY information as there are many plywood tank builds. I wouldn't touch a liner as viable option.

fingerlakesreef.com - View forum - The Plywood Section......

Yeah I knew not to use liner I think after all the coats of sealant a liner as a double proof isnt a bad idea though.

And I didn't mean cheap as I'm poor quality. I meant it as in basic function. No crown molding around the tank or doors needed to hide the sump or food bags. All that can be added down the line. I was even thinking why not a like hot tub filter? Or a sump would be better? I sure have the tanks so... Putting them to use isn't that big a deal.

It really depends how big you go. Because a big front glass can be really expensive. You don't need a liner. Use fiber glass.

Back
Top Bottom