Project Proposal... Two-tier rack... input / reviews request

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrownBullhead

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I am thinknig of building myself a two-tier aquarium rack as shown in attached diagram... CLICK THUMBNAIL for fullsize image.

I am looking to utilize metal shelving, the industrial strength stuff, as each of these tanks should weigh almost 1000 pounds when filled and aquascaped. The rack will sit on a cement sub-floor in a basement in a spot where a 150-gallon currently sits... the 150-gallon will be sold or moved.

Some of my current considerations are...

... Tank rack to be slotted into 79" high x 53" wide "clothes closet" with sliding doors removed;

... Measure allowance for metal shelves, heights of various pieces of equipment, clearance from the floor, etc, all shown on left;

... To be determined... use 2700 kelvin "Aquarium" tubes or 5000 kelvin "Natural Sunshine" tubes;

... To be determined... use ONE or TWO Hydro Sponge (Size 5) sponge filters. EACH is rated for 125 gallon aquariums... this setup the aquariums are 70 gallons each;

... To be determined... what capacity air pump to operate Hydro Sponger 5 filter;

... Other considerations not yet factored ???

I am also going to have flaps hang down from the shelf about 13" to cover the area between the top of a tank, and the shelf above with the attached lighting ballast.

Does anyone have any input they would share on this project?

Well, being a metal engineer by trade, most seems ok.
only thing i'd recommend is an extra leg in the centre front and back to support the middle of the tank.
You will have to slide your tanks in from the side but thats not a big issue really.
(sorry just saw your putting it in the cupboard. still two empty tanks isn't hard to move.)
also, you will definetly need to be able to remove the hood on the bottom tank as you will need the room to work with.

What do you mean by industrial strength shelving? It's got a 2" material dimension which i'd say is good for the bottoms to support the tank if you mean Mild steel angle. (L) but the legs I would make out of at least 2" mild steel tubing as the angle tends to flex and twist when put under pressure in a vertical position.
It will also make welding less of a hassle and have a better appearance..
Go mig welding all the way and your laughing mate..
hth

Matt.

btw if you want a 2d or 3d drawing of it let me know, got all the software here and I now do it for a living.

DeFeKt: Sure... if you feel like you got some time to kill and it's something you consider more of a pleasure rather than work, go for it... would love to see it. You sound more inclined to use a proper program for the process than I would be, so if you feel like having a go, then go! :)

sweet. I'm on it.
could be hours or a couple days (depends if they actually give me some important work) i'll pm you when i've got as far as I can comprehend, then i'll post it here for you.
beats browsing the internet all day anyway...

Matt.

ok.. phase 1.

Heres how I would build the stand. Excluding hoods and details.
I'm about to draw up the shelves you planned to use and work out a way to utilise the hoods you mentioned.

img_516382_0_a9071a8ac0b16d316575c386f4ab48b8.jpg

Matt.

lol, it seems I overlooked the most important thing.
If you were using the shelves I am thinking off. ie all material is steel 90deg angle (L)
There is no way possible you will be able to put the tanks into it.
I'll get back to my original design.

For what it's worth, I now found out that the sales associate I spoke to at Wearing Williams misunderstood what I was asking about... and it turns out that the "EZ-Rect" Shelving does not stop at a maximum of six foot high corner posts. In fact, it appears quite modular in design. What the heck was this guy talking about?

EZRect1.jpg

To those who send me private message asking "How's the stand coming" and such forth, I've decided to hold off for now.

Long term, I may still sell the 150-gallon that is in the space where the "rack" was going to go, but if I do any more aquairum related stuff, I was thinking I would like to get a 72", 135-gallon, to go along a side wall instead.

On a side note... I actually DECREASED the amount of Tropheus I am keeping, one colony is gone (the Kiriza) so no need to press ahead for now. Also, trying to pay down some other debt before I worry about a new aquarium.

Thanks for all the feedback nonetheless.

When and if you do start your project, may I suggest more than 9" of free space between the bottom and top tank?? I own a similar set up and believe me that is not enough elbow room for maintenace.

Especially if you find yourself in the position of having to net something, by the time you get it caught, the net handle will have to be manipulated out of that space and it is indeed frustrating, more often than not , losing the fish in the process! Anyway that's been my experience :lol:

I don't think the rack will work in the space anyway, as I was saying previously 9" would be about the maximum clearance, if I want it to be a "rack" (two or more rows high of tanks) at all. There is a bulkhead over the space I wanted to put it in and I cannot modify that bulkhead or HVAC and structural reasons. :(

Back
Top Bottom