PVC Overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kasakato

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has any one made one? Does anyone have any links? I was wanting to build one for a while because the box overflow is to much $$$ for me. What sized PVC should I use for a 20g tank?

There have been a few tried here, the most recent is this thread but were still waiting to see what they come up with for flow rates. The biggest draw back is that they can be a little bulky, which for a 20g tank I would imagine is a bad thing. If you want to try making one, the size of PVC is what determines the flow rate. The flow rate you need will depend on how much water you want to exchange with your sump.

I'm not sure how you'd build an overflow out of PVC. You need the internal and external boxes for the overflow to work properly. You can use PVC for the U tube and the plumbing going down to the sump. What are your ideas on building it from PVC? I'm sure we can come up with a way to build a workable overflow that is within your budget. Do a search on this site too. There were some plans for using a couple of Lee specimen boxes for internal/external boxes.

OK, I see how that would work...that's an interesting idea. I might have to give that a try on one of the coral tanks and see how well it works.

You certainly "can" make it out of 1/2" PVC, but how well it will actually work remains to be seen. I also tried a much simpler design a while ago and have sort of dropped the ball on testing and refining. There's a post in this forum somewhere discussing the "Z-Flow" i'll have to see if I can find the link...

Thats really crazy, has anyone tried it yet, I'd love to know if it works. I built an overflow out of some Lees specimen cups and some u-tubes and boy did it take alot of screwing around with to get the flow rate up. I still am not getting what I want, though it's tolerable. Problem is if I buy any more parts it would have been cheaper to buy one and I'm too stubborn for that. Happy DIY! Oh, yeah, but it wouldn't have been as much fun! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom