Removing Tank Trim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrewCrewFan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Does anyone have any suggestions how to successfully remove the trim from a 55g tank without damaging it. I'd like to keep the trim intact to I can put it back on. I'm trying to remove it temporarily to put a 3D background into the tank. I'm having a difficult time getting the trim to separate from the glass, especially in the corner. Any help would be great.

You shouldn't have to remove the trim... Should you? You could put the background in corner to diagonal corner then straighten it out once u get passed the trim...

The trim has a brace in the center, so I'm unable to put the background in diagonally.

Is there any solvents that work better than others against silicon.

BrewCrewFan said:
The trim has a brace in the center, so I'm unable to put the background in diagonally.

Is there any solvents that work better than others against silicon.

Oh yes... Duh... Lol

very sharp and thin blade works well redid a 90 gallon and removed top and bottom that way no issues, cleaned out old silicone after and replaced.

When I did my 3d background for my 55 I cut it into three pieces, that may be an option. For appearance sake make sure to cut along the "cracks" or lines that give the background texture, it will help conceal the cut after it's installed.

I just replaced a trim piece on a 55 I bought. I tried to do one piece...no go. I just destroyed the thing getting it off and put on a new one. new one was only $15.

I think tanks look so much cleaner without the trim. I removed the top trim on 2 10 gallons & top and bottom trim on the 12gal.

I found that a thin piece of sheet metal gets up into the trim better than razor blades and you can pry very lightly as you go to make sure it separates from the glass but not enough to crack the glass.

alex07 said:
I think tanks look so much cleaner without the trim. I removed the top trim on 2 10 gallons & top and bottom trim on the 12gal.

True but most larger tanks need them for stability.

Back
Top Bottom