Sump help!!!! For turle tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishface23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got a 250 gal tank, it has predrilled holes however, I'm gonna use it for my two 8"red ear sliders. I thinking and adding a 55 gal sump..I'm new to sumps ...so does anyone have any ideas on the equipment that I'm gonna need as well as the design ( also since it's a turtles tank it wont be filled completely to the top

Turtle tanks can be completely full, they can handle deep water. I would only keep the water lower if that is the best option for getting them a proper basking area.

Does it have a built-in overflow or just drilled with bulkheads?

I would not run just a sump, it won't give you enough of the right filtration.The best option in my experience would definitely be to run a pump from the sump to a pond filter that has a backwash option. It is not the cheapest option, but when it comes to filtering 250 gallons of turtle tank, it is the only option. It will allow you to clean the filter without touching it. Just turn off the pump, turn the lever, turn the pump back on and let it run until the water comes out clear again, turn the pump off, turn the lever back, and turn the pump back on, that is it.

Thankxx ..yea the tank has dual built-In overflow....does that change anything

It just makes it harder to have lower water levels. You would have to drill the overflows to allow the water to run lower. If it all possible I keep turtle tanks open-topped with their basking area in the middle so they have no leverage to get out. This gives them more water and room to swim.

I would still run a small pond filter. We used the Aqua UV Ultima II bead filters on the systems at work, I am spoiled now. That is definitely the filter I want on my dream tank.

Not to mention that fact that a 220 with a 55 under it would be extremely tall. You would need a step ladder to even be able to get in it.

Lol mayb if I was short.....but as far as the water level ...I can always make a tank topper...I have one on the tank their in now

Lol mayb if I was short.....but as far as the water level ...I can always make a tank topper...I have one on the tank their in now

LOL, Dude you must be really tall; 55 is 21" tall, with base underneath and room to work in it, thats almost 36", and a 220 is 36" tall (at least if its a standard tank), so thats about or at 6'. Now even if you are 6' you're going to need a step ladder or step stool to reach into the tank. Just pointing it out, because I've been there and done that ~ only top tank was a 125 instead of a 220 ;).

Lol...luckily I'm 6'11...j/k...but thank for the advice..but I have alot of planning to do for this tank ....I really appreciate the feedback... so if you have moreadvice I'm all ears

Well if you do end up going with a sump, I stick with a 30 or 40gal breeder so you can minimize the stand height.

If you use the bead filter all you have to have is a sump large enough to hold enough water to do the backwash. Other than that you are fine.

Ok...like mentioned in my earlier post...I'm a newbie to the sump system one of my main questions was the pluming aspect of the sump. I'll seen a bunch of vids on youtube about sumps ... but I have yet to see a sump on a tank with dual overflow

dual overflows are no big deal; you can run two pieces of flexible tubing into a Y and then into your sump or you can run both direct to the sump, or you can hard plumb directly into the sump or into a Y and then into a sump. Its really just about how much work you want to do. Plumbing freshwater is something I've personally never done, but I've seen picture of some done on here. Megoosh had one he did on his 30 that looked like a pretty cool set-up.

One problem with the built in overflows, as already pointed out, is that the tank has to be full in order for them to work.

Back
Top Bottom