Waterproof LEDs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vam

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new!

I was wondering if anyone knows how to waterproof some wiring and a single or double LED so it can be fully submerged in a freshwater tank? I am thinking about putting a Blue Led inside a skull head which was once a candel holder. The light would shine out through the eyes/nose/mouth of the skull in the night time.

I was going to run a wire down along side my heater/plants into the gravel and up through the middle of the skull head. It would be out of sight out of mind and it would be less exposed to the fish as possible, hopefully the fish wouldn't notice it at all!

Any ideas?
Thanks

Silicone would be the best if you were to do it. But, I don't think that I would want to put a potential into my tank. If for some reason it "leaks" you will electrocute your pets, not to mention maybe burn the house down.

Light emitting Diodes run on the average of 7 volts DC.....but 50 MilliAmps can stop your heart from beating. Be very cautious.

Sparky

I would suggest buying an underwater light for your purpose. If you really do want to try it out, make sure you coat all metal surfaces thoroughly with silicone. If you want to test your setup, dunk it in a glass of water, and test the water with a voltmeter compared to ground.

Jim

I dunno if i'd trust silicone to do it- I tried covering some metal fittings in my tank with silicone, and even under a 1/4" layer of it, there was still some corrosion eventually.

-J

Back
Top Bottom