Dear Mr and Mrs Average Pet Owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
because I am nice to animals, not because I am nice to people
Really? I find that so hard to believe :roll:

This person has ISSUES and needs to see a therapist. Not kidding either.

I personally agree with practically everything he had to say. Granted it was a rant, and rants tend to be negative. But I could imagine if you had to deal with people bringing in their animals for various, solve-able, problems I would get mad too.

I did a report on the humane society and the pound in my city.

In my small city alone.. in one month over the summer over 300 cats and dogs are put to sleep... they got there some how. A stray is a stray for a reason.. somewhere in its blood line someone let their dog loose and didn't get it fixed therefore ALL of these animals are caught and put to sleep.

I feel sorry for this person. They have a VERY tough job and lets be honest. Many people are idiots and This person meets them all.

So I agree with pretty much everything this person says, but why do I feel like a bad person for owning two cats? :oops:

My Girlfriend wants a dog real bad...long story short, we are not in a position to properly care for a dog. But when we are, we will get one. THis makes her EXTREMELY upset, and if she wasn't with me she would have one right now. But, that dog would be back at the pound in 3 months.

Basically many people do not think before they get a pet. It's ok to think with your heart, but before you do anything rash, think with your head.

Its one thing to literally pick up a stray dog off of the street and do everything within your power to find it a good home

Its another thing to go to the pound or to just buy a dog on whim and figure out you can't take care of it and THEN not even TRY to find it a home and take it to the pound for it to just be put down.

Hehe, sorry.. I get so worked up about comman sense with animals.

Im in the same boat, RocketSeason- my boyfriend and I would love to get a dog right now but we know its not a good time. HOWEVER we found the sweetest stray and since we can't take care of it properly I found him a wonderful home- and even then I might push to keep him AND give him a good home. But I wouldn't go out and find a dog to take care of.. this one found us and by golly I am doing everything in my power to give him a good home

Been there, done that and still do. The stories are all heartbreaking. The stupidity and irresponsible behaviour of some (not all) pet owners could fill volumes. What I find incredibly ironic is that the most ignorant and unfeeling usually have the most children.....but that is another story and just my personal observation.

i also agree but these "people" are raising other "people? just like them so im afraid it'll get worse before better, i assist in training and reabilitating {sp} untrained animals heartbreaking is an understatment. its easy command, corection

oh but now you have hit it dead on, in order to have a nicely socialized family companion you have to spend the one thing most dear to alot of people.....not cash....TIME!

Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be better if getting a dog or cat had a similar screening process to adoption. I know there's no way that would ever happen but I think the main problem here is that it's just too easy for anyone to go out and get themselves an animal. Fish included.

I read that it will soon be illegal here to give out goldfish as prizes at fairs. A tiny step, but a step in the right direction none-the-less.

or how about a mandatory 2 week waiting period. If you still want it in two weeks then at least it is not a real spur of the moment decision.

That sounds good. The time could also be used to educate the prospective owners somehow, or at least make them aware of what they're getting themselves into. I doubt many would bother reading a little booklet, but maybe some kind of mandatory class with a short lecture.

Getting too idealistic here, but we can hope!

Wow. a mandatory 2 week waiting period! you choose your pet. It is set aside and neuterd, de-wormed, checked over, and you can come pick it up in 2 weeks!!! what a great Idea!!!

That would solve a TON of problems!

In the case of both my cats, all of the veterinary work was already done as I had purchased them from the humane society. My ex-wife got all of her pets from individuals, so how can you impose a 2 week waiting period there? I would think that if there were mandatory 2 week waiting periods, youd just get a lot more ir-responsible people selling pets on the street for huigher than average prices. If a person wants to pay that, then so be it. But if thats the attitude one has to resort to take, then your right back where you started. It should be up to the prospective pet owner to educate him-herself prior to purchasing a new pet. Sadly this just doesnt happen and maybe a waiting period would solve about 1/10th of the problem. Thats a start but, in my opinion, would only stir up other problems....possibly even a much larger, organized underground pet movement than currently exists. How do I really know Fidos papers are correct and true? I dont.

People are just irresponsible and that wont change. THats why we have information outlets like this website to make public education easily and readily available. I guarantee websites like this one have saved many many animals. Were on the right track and hopefully someone will come up with a system that works better in the future.

How do I really know Fidos papers are correct and true? I dont

If you want to know, DNA testing is very readily available nowadays. But, purebred animals are not the issue. It is the care of and capability of after purchase care that is the issue. Unfortunately as good as pet owner education sounds.....the people that cause the problems do not want to be educated.
Why? Because with education comes responsibility for your actions.

I have been in the sport of pure bred dogs for over 20 years. I have volunteered many many hours to all sorts of education projects, from teaching 4-h kids, obedience training and even grooming dogs on a volunteer basis for the local humane society to help them place the dogs. I am telling you from personal experience, that even when FREE help and assistance is offered to pet owners, they dont want to take the time to learn. (and before someone takes offense, once again, this is my personal experience with the topic)

I can feel where this guy is coming from. I have 5 cats, and all of them are from stupid idiot people who can't fix their animals and leave them on the street to die. I found a mother and kitten in a burger king parking lot, one behind a house with probably 100 feral cats, one folowed me an my husband home from a walk (she was starving), and one was stuck in a tree, a wee little kitten that had a collar but was too young to be outside, so we took her.
It breaks my heart how many animals have to suffer from inhumanity and indifference.
Sorry to ramble, but I am a stray cat magnet and have a soft spot for them 8)

That is exactly why my wife and I own 6 cats and 3 dogs. ALL of them are fixed and well taken care of. Most of them "came" to us by just the means mentioned in that article. We get people calling us all the time to "take" this cat or this dog...and it's hard to say no, but we just can't take on anymore. We have been looking for a new house with some property so that maybe we CAN "hold" on to some until we can find homes where they will live out a long and healthy life. We treat ours like they are our own children. I could not even think of giving one away for any reason. There are ways to fix certain things that animals do that make thier owners give them up. Most are just to lazy to "try" and train them.

Damn, it burns me to no end to see things like what has to go on in a shelter. These people (shelters) are not heartless, they just don't have a choice. Like the article said about the 6 year old shepard/lab mix.....how many people will want to adopt it?...he is doomed.

I'm done....I could go on for hours about this. But it just makes me more mad. I'm sorry if I ranted too long on this.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom