Dumbest Aquarium advice you've ever been given?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had some chats with my LFS owner, who gives pretty good advice, about some of the ideas people have in their heads when they come in. Lots and lots of misinformation! "But so and so said I just need to let the tank run a few days and then fish will be fine," or "I thought changing the water often was a bad thing," or the perennial favorite, "But it will only grow to the size of the tank, so I can totally stick an Oscar and a pleco in a 10 gallon." One thing I really like about my LFS is that the owners give good advice and they give it kindly. I'm usually in there at least once a week (at least when my car is running). Many times I have overheard her breaking down cycling and having people come back with water to test before she will sell them fish. And she really gets to know her regulars. Nothing like a good local business!

I've had some chats with my LFS owner, who gives pretty good advice, about some of the ideas people have in their heads when they come in. Lots and lots of misinformation! "But so and so said I just need to let the tank run a few days and then fish will be fine," or "I thought changing the water often was a bad thing," or the perennial favorite, "But it will only grow to the size of the tank, so I can totally stick an Oscar and a pleco in a 10 gallon." One thing I really like about my LFS is that the owners give good advice and they give it kindly. I'm usually in there at least once a week (at least when my car is running). Many times I have overheard her breaking down cycling and having people come back with water to test before she will sell them fish. And she really gets to know her regulars. Nothing like a good local business!

I want to visit your local fish store!

I want to visit your local fish store!

The only downside is they don't always have a great selection of fish. However, they are always happy to special order stuff, so if it is on their supplier's stocklist (segrest farms) you can get it, and they Have recently expanded their store! Although some of the fish, like the angels, have been coming in in poor shape for a long time now. Can't do much about that.

Same with an employee at my LFS; bonus: she loves batman and have a black moor named Batman :D

When I was first starting my tank, I went to the lfs for some stocking advice. They were aghast that I was fish less cycling the tank.

"You never want to do that. You need to add fish to get it cycled." When I (timidly, as I was very unconfident) said I had read about it online (right at this site!) she said that she doesn't recommend it and that it was too new of an idea. Something to that effect.

I didn't listen, got some plants, and went home to read and reassure myself. Lol.

When I was first starting my tank, I went to the lfs for some stocking advice. They were aghast that I was fish less cycling the tank.

"You never want to do that. You need to add fish to get it cycled." When I (timidly, as I was very unconfident) said I had read about it online (right at this site!) she said that she doesn't recommend it and that it was too new of an idea. Something to that effect.

I didn't listen, got some plants, and went home to read and reassure myself. Lol.

And my tank was cycled in three weeks. :D.

Haha I had that too!!!! Got em as babies

He's now almost 9 inches and the other almost 7 inches I took two also :) I only paid 2$ for them idiots told me they'd only get 4-5 inches I knew they were a bit off considering they thought it was a pleco.

Oh my gosh, you too! That happened to me about a year ago. Mines now 5 inches

Attachments

• image-3274313744.jpg
    image-3274313744.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 129

Same thing happened to me and I listened :( I lost two fishies cause of it.

Once I was told that Betta's are perfect community fish and good tank mates include everything from tetras to guppies. >:|

Actually, the majority of Bettas are great community tank mates. I have one with Rams, a Guppy, Tetras, Barbs, and a few others.

Actually, the majority of Bettas are great community tank mates. I have one with Rams, a Guppy, Tetras, Barbs, and a few others.

I have a female betta in a tank with 3 guppies, cories, and some rasboras. She's awesome and really laid back. No problems with her at all.

My cousin (she was 10) went to a chain store with her parents looking for fish to go with her goldfish in a 10gal... They came back with an angel, a dwarf gourami and a heater. So shocked when I went to visit and saw that! Sent them straight back to the store after I'd explained how many things were wrong with that, especially as they were recommended the fish by an employee O.O poor goldie must've been frying!

Sometimes I ask some of the lfs employees about water changes. One girl has a 55 gallon told me she does them like once or twice a year...& looked at me like an idiot because I told her I do at least weekly.(sometimes twice weekly)just to be sure the water is perfect....every store ive ever been to about filter media also recommends changing everything every 2-3 weeks.

Another story about bad stocking. I saw a lfs with walleye and large mouth bass for sale over the weekend. (Had no idea they could even sell those) A family came in had an empty 29 gallon and bought two bullhead catfish about 4" 1 walleye about 6" 2 convicts about 3" a pictus cat and a blue gourami! The girl said oh they'll all do fine with each other....hmmm I wasnt so sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom