Elmo's goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mab2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
This has been bothering me for a while. I have two kids and one of their favorite shows is Sesame Street. Elmo has a goldfish named Dorthy. Elmo keeps his goldfish in a small bowl. What kind of example are they trying to set for young children, lol. For such a progressive show you think they would have done a little research, that fish needs at least 20 gallons. I may write the show and direct them to this site, it sure has helped me.

There are quite a few other children shows out their promoting gold fish in small bowls. Most lkely the producers haven't a clue about fish keeping....then again, maybe they do but it didn't occurr to them that little viewers beg mommy and daddy for a fish in a bowl just like they see on the show; and many times this is just what happens.

I cringe when I see Elmo's world. Lol. Dorothy is a common goldfish and needs even more than 20 gallons. :/ 'She' is a pond fish that can easily reach a foot! I hate to think what happens to all the Dorothys when they stop shooting. :(

I bet it's a different Dorothy each time, she can't survive in that bowl. Especially with Elmo as an owner lol

There are quite a few other children shows out their promoting gold fish in small bowls. Most lkely the producers haven't a clue about fish keeping....then again, maybe they do but it didn't occurr to them that little viewers beg mommy and daddy for a fish in a bowl just like they see on the show; and many times this is just what happens.

I have noticed that on other shows as well, Elmo was just more noticeable because he is a repeat offender. I guess it shows my lack of knowledge on goldfish, I thouht 20 gallons would be enough not a pond, lol. I think that makes it worse. I had watched the show before I kept fish and I never really noticed. Now that I am educated these things stick out to me. Glad I am not the only one that this bothers.

I've noticed this too with my baby sister theirs another show on the sprout channel with another goldfish in a bowl -.-
I think it's just the common idea that has been around for ages of a fish= goldfish and habitat= bowl and everything else such as tank sizes substrates etc would be too complicated for kids, but definitely not a good message to kids

It leads the parents/adults in the situation to believe that's how they are kept. They then go to the LFS and quite a lot of the time this is reinforced by an employee that's either not educated on the matter, doesn't care or just wants a sale. :( My sisters and I had many goldfish in bowls as kids because my mother was told by the LFS they are perfectly fine in them.

It leads the parents/adults in the situation to believe that's how they are kept. They then go to the LFS and quite a lot of the time this is reinforced by an employee that's either not educated on the matter, doesn't care or just wants a sale. :( My sisters and I had many goldfish in bowls as kids because my mother was told by the LFS they are perfectly fine in them.

I was talking fish the other day with a few girls in my clinical group. They were saying they would buy goldfish for their kids because they were cheap. They said they kept them in a bowl and stated that they only lived for about two weeks. I tried to explain that they needed a bigger tank and that goldfish were very messy but I think it fell on deaf ears.

Yah but u have to keep in mind that Elmo loves his goldfish, his crayons too. That's Elmo's world. That songs gonna be stuck in my head all day now lol

Back
Top Bottom