Experiment: Extreme cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so a bit of an interesting update on the whole nitrite testing issue I raised. So not knowing the nitrite concentration Dr. Hovanec used in that YouTube video was really starting to bug me. So I decided to leave comment on the YouTube site asking for the nitrite concentration he used in his experiment and his view on the starting point for the level of Nitrite that would be required to result in a false zero reading. Much to my surprise I received an answer in less than 24 hours. Here is the response that I got from him (or at least a DrTimsAquatics representative)

The concentration was 30 mg/L nitrite-nitrogen.

The value were kits begin to give false reading is generally anything above the maximum value on their scale. But the scale is different for each kit.

For verification purposes this is on the public comment section of the YouTube video.

Since his concentration is based on the nitrogen scale it needs to be converted to the ion scale. So if my math is right this would be equivalent to a reading of 98.5 on an API test or any other ion based test. Talk about a cycle gone wrong!! :lol: I guess I would have preferred if the sample he used contained a concentration closer to something we would expect to see during a cycle. It would have made his point much stronger!

I have an email into Mars/API but haven't heard back yet. I will post the response if I get one.

Last edited:
Daaang Rak nice work!!!

Awesome on the eBay link but too expensive for me to buy just to mess around with :( But good to know I CAN get it
Edit: I bought Sodium Nitrite instead

Last edited:
Daaang Rak nice work!!!

Awesome on the eBay link but too expensive for me to buy just to mess around with :( But good to know I CAN get it
Edit: I bought Sodium Nitrite instead

Look around ebay they sell them as low as $5. I just grab the first link that came up. Nice job on this thread (y)

If you have the vile rested on something or touching your background the colour will also appear darker. This is why so many people can't match the colours in the first place. If the light reflects back through the vile it seems to create contrast in the vile. Also earlier someone mention how your cycle would stall because you add baking soda and such to adjust your ph. Generally if you ph is below 6 or above 9 it will slow down or stall out.

www.aquariumfertilier.com
They sell some! It is used as a dry fertilizer.
Greenleafaquariums.com also
I think you're thinking of _____ NitrAte mixes. I do have some of that so I'll make a chart for nitrates soon. I was talking about getting something that is ______ NitrIte for testing purposes. No aquarium shop in their right mind is selling that, because no one would be dosing their tank with it on purpose! (except when cycling where I believe it could be really useful. NEW EXPERIMENT ON THE WAY)

I've seen 7.4-7.5 as optimum pH for nitrification and am aware of the loss of benefits below 6.5 and halting at 6.0, but I've never noticed (meaning I haven't looked at) too HIGH pH. I'm sure I've read papers where it's mentioned but didn't pay attention. Do you have any references handy? Otherwise I can go look it up myself.

Edit: Well here is a good one! http://www.dmww.com/upl/documents/w...dies/high-ph-inhibits-nitrifying-bacteria.pdf
This is a really interesting one too because the wastewater plant wanted to DELIBERATELY inhibit nitrification, which seems like an unusual move for a treatment plant.

On an unrelated note... Every topic I post in this area loses its focus and turns into a science discussion :p Mind you I am NOT complaining, lol.

On track, test results for today were the SAME. Boo! Nothing is happening yet! It had better happen soon or my theory will be BUST and I will be a sad panda!

Last edited:
I've seen 7.4-7.5 as optimum pH for nitrification and am aware of the loss of benefits below 6.5 and halting at 6.0, but I've never noticed (meaning I haven't looked at) too HIGH pH. I'm sure I've read papers where it's mentioned but didn't pay attention. Do you have any references handy? Otherwise I can go look it up myself.

Edit: Well here is a good one! http://www.dmww.com/upl/documents/w...dies/high-ph-inhibits-nitrifying-bacteria.pdf
This is a really interesting one too because the wastewater plant wanted to DELIBERATELY inhibit nitrification, which seems like an unusual move for a treatment plant.

On an unrelated note... Every topic I post in this area loses its focus and turns into a science discussion :p Mind you I am NOT complaining, lol.

On track, test results for today were the SAME. Boo! Nothing is happening yet! It had better happen soon or my theory will be BUST and I will be a sad panda!

How many days are we in now Jen?

Twas day 9. Not worth panicking yet, but we need to see something soon methinks. I'm not going to get impatient or jump the gun though on calling stalled. Interference too soon would be folly.

We have liftoff!

Ammonia had a DEFINITE drop, unlike my erroneous color readings before. I made a 2ppm and 4ppm reference solution and my diluted tank solution was definitely right in the middle, so I'm confident to say ammonia has dropped from 16 to 12.

And more importantly, .5 nitrItes. I actually expected this reading today, because yesterday's nitrites compared to a 0 reference solution was just BARELY tinged. Like barely, like .05-.1ppm tinged. But I could tell it was off JUST enough that I KNEW today was going to have a real reading.

We're off and running, and I would say this is EXACTLY on schedule (day 11 for first nitrite reading)! No stall yet from 16ppm ammonia. So, with no water changes, can it finish?

We have liftoff!

Ammonia had a DEFINITE drop, unlike my erroneous color readings before. I made a 2ppm and 4ppm reference solution and my diluted tank solution was definitely right in the middle, so I'm confident to say ammonia has dropped from 16 to 12.

And more importantly, .5 nitrItes. I actually expected this reading today, because yesterday's nitrites compared to a 0 reference solution was just BARELY tinged. Like barely, like .05-.1ppm tinged. But I could tell it was off JUST enough that I KNEW today was going to have a real reading.

We're off and running, and I would say this is EXACTLY on schedule (day 11 for first nitrite reading)! No stall yet from 16ppm ammonia. So, with no water changes, can it finish?

Let's hope so! How is the ph?

Let's hope so! How is the ph?

pH holding at 7.37 (I got a pH monitor! Wish I had this the whole time). kH seems to have dropped about .5. Do you think that both pH and kH will drop together, or all the kH will drop first?

Back
Top Bottom