How to remove DIY car window tinting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menagerie

Aquarium Advice Addict
We finally replaced our car that was totalled with an economical car that someone self-tinted. The back window looks awful and makes driving in the rain very difficult. It's bubbled up and looks like you can peel it off; which is what I was going to do. Then Trevor, the voice of reason, said it may peel off, but will it leave a film like fly-paper :? Anyone undo a self-tinting? All suggestions, comments and things to avoid are welcome. Thanks!

A lot of hardwork!!!!

Honestly, when you pay for a tint job I think somethin like 85% of the cost is removal of the old stuff. If you have ever done a tint job on a car without tint it is a lot cheaper than if it has tint already!

You'll need a scraper device, squirt bottle with soap and water, squirt bottle with vinnegar and water and A HEAP OF PATIENCE.

Good Luck!!! You may benefit taking it somewhere and paying to have it removed and re-tinted!!!

Jermz

patience, razorblade, and I was told paint thinner. I tried one time then just paid someone to do it.

Friend of mine has done window tinting for many years, try using a heat gun and a razor blade scraper. The heat gun will melt the adhesive and make it easier to get off, and the tint itself should shrivel as it heats up. The hard part will be if you have a defroster in the back window. You have to be real careful not to scratch them while peeling off the tinting.

Once you have the actual plastic tint off the glass, you can use acetone (nail polish remover) to clean off bits of adhesive that are still stuck on the glass. Careful not to drip the acetone as it will eat through or discolor just about anything it gets in contact with.

Also note, a hair dryer is not a heat gun, and won't produce enough heat for long enough to do the job.

Just be careful, like Skyrmir says, about the rear defroster. My husband Steve bought a pretty nice car just off-lease. The previous owner took the back window tint off to turn it in. The back defroster was broken when the previous owner did this. Since Steve bought the car in the summer, he didn't realize it until later! The garage replaced the back window at no cost to us. :D

The heat gun is the best method. Do not use a razor blade unless you can assure to not touch the defroster lines. Some defroster lines once damaged can be "painted" back on but not always. Also paint thinner can be harsh, several degreasers and reducers used in automotive painting will remove the sticky backing and not damage the defroster lines.

We have no intention of retinting the windows--we just want the old stuff off! I have a heat gun, razors and acetone. The back window does have defroster lines, so Trevor can do that one and I can work on the others. Now, we need to wait for a dry day :roll:

try rubbing alcohol. I used it to remove some off of my trucks windows and the adhesive came off quick. the key thing is to turn the rag or cloth over alot, i needed all of the surface area of an old sock to do 2 front door windows.

I tinted cars for 8 years in South Florida. Here's how you do it:

Do it in the summer. Let you car sit out in the sun with the windows up for 3 hours. This will get the adhesive warm and sticky. Then you get into the back seat of your car and spray down the tint with water from a spray bottle, just so it beads up pretty good. Apply a garbage bag (cut it to use one sheet of it, so that it's not still in the normal cylindar garbage bag-shaped form) onto the tint on the interior of the car. Let it sit for another 2 hours in the sun, while the garbage bag completely dries to the tint. Then you start to peel it off in the corner and it should come off.

*Disclaimer: It took me a good 5 cars before I got it right, so this may not work the best for you.

*Note: if you use a razor blade to take off the rear tint, you will ruin your rear defrost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom