is anything more nasty than a platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Got an un-wanted platy from a friend & although I won't claim a lot of experience with fish, I have to say this is the nastiest fish I've seen - he must excrete his weight in waste twice a day!!! He's produced strands 3"+ long, once got it wrapped around one of my cory cats. I've even see the little guy produce corkscrew shaped poo!

Anyway, this just got me to wondering whether other fish are this generous in fertilizing the plants.

Depends on what they eat

Yes they are generous depending on what they are eating. Pleco's can leave a mark on a tank too. :grab::jump: Then there's goldfish, sure they can be cute, but what a mess. Oscar's a messy too, but they create BIG poop in large chunks all over tank.

That's nice I've got a pond full of gold fish. Well, not full like 6 of them but they are like 8" long each. They aren't that dirty. Now my otocinclus on the other hand literally coat the whole tank in feces. It's not even funny.

Now my otocinclus on the other hand literally coat the whole tank in feces. It's not even funny.

I had oto cats for a while and never noticed them making that much of a mess. Have also noticed that where my bn pleco typically hides is also pretty solid with waste and that the platy often eats algae off the plants - is algae high-fiber?

try getting a python and conducting regular tank maintenance.

Thanks, I'm actually rather fond of my weekly changes using my Aqueon water changer. . . The point of my original post was just a joke, that for such a small fish, my platy generates a surprising amount of waste that he drags around the tank.

to Etunes, feel silly that i didn't notice my little bn being that bad til other members mentioned how messy their plecos are, now I remember that anytime I clean near Bert's home, the water sucked up is just a black cloud!

Back
Top Bottom