MTS temptation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well since my MTS has been made worse by STS, I started looking around for tanks. LOL, I keep telling you all I don't NEED a kitchen table. Located a 75 gal with tank, stand canopy with locking door, moonlights, fluval 404, substrate ornaments, 6 mos warranty, visitherm 300 w heater, python kit, magfloat, aquaclear 300, glass tops, dual flourescent light, food and net. All for 500 Can. Going to see it later today. :D If I get it that would make #10. 8O

The only thing that makes me cringe is the process it will take to move 10 tanks when we get a new house this spring LOL. But it is a necessity, I need more room for more tanks. And the cats could use some more room as well. Please notice we are fine, no more room needed for us LMAO.

I was really hoping to find something regarding Malaysian Trumpet Snails. :D You definitely have it bad Zagz...good luck with your new "family dining" arrangements.

NOT set it up? Yeah like I could just have a 75 gal hanging around LOL. I'd cycle it at least. Yes JC this has become a serious addiction. The good news is that it is just the hubby and me and we eat in the living room. So we can see the fish while we eat!

Then you will have to get 4 more cats, so then each cat has his own tank to watch... and by watch I mean plan a way to get into the tank and take over!

If there ever was a line....I think you crossed it after tank #5 or so. :lol: That is some husband you have there...... what does he get for allowing your indulgence? I hope it's something good like season tickets to everything! 8)

Jchillin said:
I was really hoping to find something regarding Malaysian Trumpet Snails. :D

Jchillin:

I think I read about STS from your favorite professor, Dr. Ivanna Phishtank.

STS = shrunken tank syndrome. A disorder of aquariums such that they shrink in size. This disorder has two primary causes. First is when the tank is new. After adding the first few fish the tank shrinks in size. A tank that should house 25 fish for example gets intimidated so it shrinks so only 15 fish will fit. The second cause of STS is when the aquarist desires more fish. It is believed that subconsiencly the tank freaks out at having more fish so it shrinks to prevent any new additions.

Both STS which the aquarium presents and MTS which the aquarist presents feed upon one another. Each exacerbates the other. It is unknown at this time if the two disorders are manifestations of the same pathogen or if they are independent. So far they both need to be treated.

coolchinchilla said:
I think I read about STS from your favorite professor, Dr. Ivanna Phishtank.

Glad someone has been paying attention, it goes a long way to understanding this affliction.

Zagz - I just found out last night that Dr. Phishtank is sponsoring a symposium. The premise is what will 20 aquaritst do if left in a room with a 10 gal tank for 8 hours. Apparently the results of the last session were a little skewed, all the participants donated tanks to Dr. Phishtank. :D

Zagz said:
NOT set it up? Yeah like I could just have a 75 gal hanging around LOL. I'd cycle it at least.

If you have 9 other tanks, why would you need to cycle it? Couldn't you transplant some substrate to get it jumpstarted after the move?

Spring? LOL - it's the middle of February; how far away is "spring" for you up there in Saskatchewan, Canada, eh? (couldn't resist! :p)

ROFL spring is an eternity away for us.

That darn Dr. Ivana Phishtank is no help at all! LOL.

I wouldn't have to cycle the tank in the conventional way, I'd swap some substrate and filter media. Just an expression I guess. I've already planned where it would fit into the kitchen.

Husband has contracted MTS, as a matter of fact, he feeds my MTS! He tells me about fishtanks to get me to buy them. I bet if I was raiding his bank account he'd feel differently LOL.

Tell me the MTS is not equally labor intensive as the first tank. I have a 180gal tank, stand, filter, pumps, light etc in storage but have not set it up because I am afraid it would be to much work with multiple large tanks.

Can't tell you that Brenden esp with SW. I find it takes more time but I enjoy it and don't mind a bit. It actually takes more time to feed them every morning than I expected. Of course I must converse with each tank as I feed it LOL.

You have more willpower than I would, having a 180 gal just not being used. 8O

You have more willpower than I would, having a 180 gal just not being used.
Not sure what I want to do with it yet. I have thought about a SW predator tank or a seahorse tank. I have tenative plans to "maybe" put in a new 2,000 gal FOWLR tank when I add on to the house soon. I am just trying to make up my mind.

Yeah. I have been talking to a tank builder about designs. It would probably be a "L" shape. It would have to be a FO because my lighting bill for my 525 is rough so I can imagine what it would cost for a 2,000. Unless my 525 becomes the sump? HMMMM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom