My contribution to stop the cruelty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I made up this letter to give to my LFS because I was very angry about what I saw today there. Later on I will also send a letter to them about bettas in cups. Ive deleted my name and number from bottom.

Hello,
As I was in your store on 6/26/12, I noticed dyed and tattooed fish for sale. Specifically, I saw tattooed platinum mollies(Pocelia Sphenops) and dyed Blood Parrot Cichlids. Blood Parrots are already highly hybridized and have many genetic deformities, such as the inability to close their mouths. The dyeing and tattooing of fish is extremely cruel and many consumers of these fish do not realize their true requirements, so these fish often live out their days in small aquariums that are improperly cared for. I highly recommend you to visit deathbydyeing.org to find out the details of this cruel and inhumane process. To give you a short overview of one of the most common ways that companies dye fish, they place the fish in an acid bath to remove the slime coat. Then, the fish(es) are placed in a container holding the desired color. This adheres to their skin but is temporary and wears off quickly. When the fish are removed from the dye vat, they are placed in a solution that irritates their skin, causing a new slime coat to be grown. Up to 80% of these fish die and the ones that survive often have many health problems and medical problems. To tattoo the fish, commonly a low gauge needle is used to inject color under the skin of the fish. This is done multiple times and is the equivalent of being injected over and over with a pencil size needle. As you may realize, these processes are incredibly inhumane and disgust me to a large degree. As you can see, on the deathbydyeing.org site they have a list of responsible dealers that refuse to sell dyed fish. I would greatly enjoy seeing ******* on that list. Please stop selling these fish. The only way we can stop the cruelty is to stop the market.
Respectfully,

Last edited by a moderator:
I've a few suggestions. First off, you need to correct your spelling of the word dyeing in the fourth sentence. Perhaps they are dying, but I don't think that is what you ment the sentence to refer to. Also it seems to me that you are confusing the issue of dyed and tatooed fish with the issue of bettas in cups. I don't think many people really put mollies or blood parrots in fish bowls. And finally, if you're going to claim to be well versed on a topic, you may want to fully research it in order to prevent yourself from looking uninformed. A hybridized fish is just that, a hybrid between two different species. Since it is a hybrid, it of course does not have a scientific name.

And just a side thought, you do understand that these places are in business to make money correct? Most of them are probably fully aware of the methods involved here as well as the rate of survival, but these oddities sell. If they didn't we wouldn't have things like glofish and blood parrots or even tatooing of fish. While I agree that these practices are inhumane and I applaud you for your efforts, I just hope you realize that this type of campaign is not likely to bring much success.

Wy Renegade said:
I've a few suggestions. First off, you need to correct your spelling of the word dyeing in the fourth sentence. Perhaps they are dying, but I don't think that is what you ment the sentence to refer to. Also it seems to me that you are confusing the issue of dyed and tatooed fish with the issue of bettas in cups. I don't think many people really put mollies or blood parrots in fish bowls. And finally, if you're going to claim to be well versed on a topic, you may want to fully research it in order to prevent yourself from looking uninformed. A hybridized fish is just that, a hybrid between two different species. Since it is a hybrid, it of course does not have a scientific name.

And just a side thought, you do understand that these places are in business to make money correct? Most of them are probably fully aware of the methods involved here as well as the rate of survival, but these oddities sell. If they didn't we wouldn't have things like glofish and blood parrots or even tatooing of fish. While I agree that these practices are inhumane and I applaud you for your efforts, I just hope you realize that this type of campaign is not likely to bring much success.

I have to agree...good luck on the letter though!

Wy Renegade said:

I do understand they are in it for the money
However, it's an extremely cruel business and we should all do our best to stop it
I assumed it didn't but wanted to check. Im sure it's less common to put blood parrots in small tanks, but people put mollies in small aquariums- I saw a small child at a petstore getting mollies for the 2.5 their parents were holding. Or so I assume. There's no need to be rude about it. The letter is from the word Hello down and that's what I'm sending- I just had some questions
I'll remove the bowls part

I understand the letter was only from the word Hello down, and I was simply supplying you with information/suggestions as you requested. If you don't wish to receive such, then perhaps you shouldn't post and ask as you did. As for the being rude, that was hardly my intent; had I meant to be rude, you would have been well aware of it. I simply wished to make sure that you fully understood the situation. A letter such as this would be much more effective IMO, if provided to the general public that frequents the LFS, rather than the LFS itself. Such is only my own opinion however. As for the fish in too small of a tank, that can certainly be said of almost every fish in the business. How often are cichlids or Ottos or even goldfish placed in too small of an aquarium? Shall we strive to shut down the aquarium industry because the general public is uninformed or should we rather strive to educate those who know no better? Simply food for thought. I wish you the best in your endevours.

Last edited:
I think it would be better to quote a site other than deathbydyeing.org. I agree that the practice of dyeing fish is crazy, but if you quote a source that is more impartial, then people may take it more seriously. You might want to clean up a few phrases here and there to sound more professional too. Good luck. :)

Honestly, a whole lot in the fish market is cruel, tons of fish die from transport, improper water, beginner's mistakes, tiny tanks for large fish, but It's like me writing to a grocery store saying, 'I don't like your processed chicken, it's cruel.' and then citing a anti-meat eating article. It's not going to get me very far. Eventually, someone with money will protest, but until then, if it makes money, it makes money. It would be easier protesting goldfish in bowls, because more people know about that, and way more fish have died from it. There's just not much one letter will do. You could start a petition, change.org is pretty good for things like that, and tons of signatures is a lot more impressive than one person trying to "stop cruelty." A lot of people look down on lone activists, but if you have a good cause, there's always a way to get interest. Just make sure you do it in a respectable manner, look what happened to a lot of PETA's reputation. They had a good idea.. but went about it in a way that was way too emotion driven.

Good for you for writing a letter :) But isn't fish keeping in it of itself cruel? We are putting fish in a 10-125 gallon tank for the soul fact that we want to look at them. :( I've always felt sort of bad. But hey, I keep my tanks nice ;) lol

Back
Top Bottom