Ph issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

06redragtop

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 72 gallon freshwater aquarium. About 6 months ago my wife decided we needed more colorful fish. Out with the 35 in with the 72 discus tank. I do 30% water changes once a week and 50% once a month. Amonia, nitrite and nitrate all great. Gravel substrate with river rock and lava rock . The rocks were check with muriatic acid for compadability. Java moss and java fern.
My issue is the Ph. Out of the tap is 6.8 perfect for the discus. But the tank has raised to 7.4. I cant get it down.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20201011_101101.jpg
    20201011_101101.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 33
7.4 PH will not adversely affect your Discus. I successfully kept Discus for several years in my local 8.2 PH. The higher PH might hinder breeding.
It's possible that the rock decor is slightly upping the PH. A larger weekly WC might keep your PH more closely aligned to the desired level.

New thread huh? How many discus????? They do kill each other, one of mine was dead last night, fine in the morning. Numbers make all the difference. Again. I can assure you the ph has nothing to do with your issues.

New thread huh? How many discus????? They do kill each other, one of mine was dead last night, fine in the morning. Numbers make all the difference. Again. I can assure you the ph has nothing to do with your issues.

How was it dead last night and then fine in the morning? :)

Back
Top Bottom