Seasoning tank for angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drjallen3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an aquarium with 4 adult Angelfish. I bought them all together at medium size and they have all just reach adulthood. I realized that my female koi has paird up with the other koi. The striped and the blonde have violent fights with him and I need to take the breeding pair out. I set up a 10 gallon tank yesterday. Since my 55 gallon needed a water change any, I filled the newly set up tank halfway with old water from the 55 g tank and finished up with fresh dechlorinated water. Will the half of the old tank water be sufficient to season the new set up with beneficial bacteria so I can put the breeding pair in there soon?

Nope, tank water contains insignificant amounts of BB to establish a new tank fast. Best bet is to open up the filter on your 55, remove a bunch of biomedia and add it to the 10 gallon, that will virtually "instacycle" the 10 gallon. Keep an eye on parameters as frequently as possible though.

Nope, tank water contains insignificant amounts of BB to establish a new tank fast. Best bet is to open up the filter on your 55, remove a bunch of biomedia and add it to the 10 gallon, that will virtually "instacycle" the 10 gallon. Keep an eye on parameters as frequently as possible though.
Thanks, I can pull some of the floss out of my 55 g canister filter and put it in my 10 g hob filter. I appreciate your advice. I'll go do it now.

^^+1^^
We toss water regularly without impacting our BB so it seem that little is actually in the water column.
Most BB reside on surfaces ,so some substrate or even plants [fake yes] or decos will have some bacteria on them..Best to move some deco they like even so to add to comfort level..
10 is a little small for breeding angels IMO...20 is usually the minimum safe space for the 2.. I have 6 angels now in my 55 that will be pairing up soon.
I might just install a matten sponge divider to separate if possible ?

^^+1^^
We toss water regularly without impacting our BB so it seem that little is actually in the water column.
Most BB reside on surfaces ,so some substrate or even plants [fake yes] or decos will have some bacteria on them..Best to move some deco they like even so to add to comfort level..
10 is a little small for breeding angels IMO...20 is usually the minimum safe space for the 2.. I have 6 angels now in my 55 that will be pairing up soon.
I might just install a matten sponge divider to separate if possible ?
I totally appreciate your concern about my tank size for the breeding and I would rather have a larger tank, but Ive done this before. I removed the parents as soon as th fry hatched and started feeding the fry boiled egg yolk strained through cloth and shaken in water to shart with and. Switched to newly hatched brine shrimp before switching to crushed flakes. I managed to get 75 angles to about the size of a nickel before trading them to my local fish store for a couple of small Discus.

Thanks, I can pull some of the floss out of my 55 g canister filter and put it in my 10 g hob filter. I appreciate your advice. I'll go do it now.
I put a nice healthy size piece of seasoned floss the same size as my filter cartridge touching it. It is full enough that my water is flowing through but about to run over the top of the media. Do you think enough BB will be transferred to my cartridge in 24 hours to take out the piece that came from my canister since the pads are touching each other?

Back
Top Bottom