This is sad :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Almost made me think twice before eating lobster....but it's too good with melted butter. ;)

I was looking up videos on euthanizing sick fish and came across some videos on animal cruelty I wish I had never seen. I am not vegetarian but those videos made me wish i was

I was looking up videos on euthanizing sick fish and came across some videos on animal cruelty I wish I had never seen. I am not vegetarian but those videos made me wish i was
Honestly, I don't know how true this is. I don't tend to trust things like this that don't give any specifics, just the story of a friend of a friend. Also, I have heard that putting a coldwater critter (like a lobster) into boiling water should kill it instantly. But, I don't really know for sure. I hope its not true of course.
I choose to not eat sea food because of multiple reasons. I am not a vegetarian though.

absolutangel04 said:
Honestly, I don't know how true this is. I don't tend to trust things like this that don't give any specifics, just the story of a friend of a friend. Also, I have heard that putting a coldwater critter (like a lobster) into boiling water should kill it instantly. But, I don't really know for sure. I hope its not true of course.
I choose to not eat sea food because of multiple reasons. I am not a vegetarian though.

I don't like seafood honestly. Also I'm not a vegetarian because I like meat lol and I believe that God gave us meat to eat but I believe there are ways of doing things.

I would think there would be some kind of law that would shut those sort of establishments down... Or make them start handling things better But idk...

absolutangel04 said:

Maybe the lobster was in the water as it was heating up? Just a guess :D

Flossie said:
I don't like seafood honestly. Also I'm not a vegetarian because I like meat lol and I believe that God gave us meat to eat but I believe there are ways of doing things.

I would think there would be some kind of law that would shut those sort of establishments down... Or make them start handling things better But idk...

Ya..ever seen one of those videos that talks about those cow fattening farms? Where they are fed corn for a certain number of weeks before they are killed...those arent too jolly either

That's how crawdads are cooked too. I don't see an issue with it. I also think this was a dramatized video that any animal rights activist or extremist vegetarian could have created in an attempt at making cooking lobster a bad thing.

Reactions: i3k
Ya..ever seen one of those videos that talks about those cow fattening farms? Where they are fed corn for a certain number of weeks before they are killed...those arent too jolly either

I haven't and I do not want to :(

That's how crawdads are cooked too. I don't see an issue with it. I also think this was a dramatized video that any animal rights activist or extremist vegetarian could have created in an attempt at making cooking lobster a bad thing.

You're probably right. The girl was Vegan and Im sure they make the videos look worse but if any of these farms are half as bad as the other videos on this girls page it would still be terrible :(

I'm from Maine, I've cooked a lot of lobster, and IME if you do put them into hot water, they die instantly, but how most ppl I know do it is that they put them in with cold water and that way they slowly heat up and don't know the difference, just die.(frogs will do the same) there is a video on YouTube of my dad, cousin and I putting lobster "to sleep" that shows how close to their shells their neural system is. It can be found under the title of "sweet lobster dreams" and was filmed in cape cod a few summers ago.I also do eat lobster, but that's cause I don't like it. I've also seen some huge ones. As you can see below. This things claw was the size of my shoe, and it was as long as a dishwasher.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111102_110921.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111102_110921.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 90
oscarchic11 said:
I'm from Maine, I've cooked a lot of lobster, and IME if you do put them into hot water, they die instantly, but how most ppl I know do it is that they put them in with cold water and that way they slowly heat up and don't know the difference, just die.(frogs will do the same) there is a video on YouTube of my dad, cousin and I putting lobster "to sleep" that shows how close to their shells their neural system is. It can be found under the title of "sweet lobster dreams" and was filmed in cape cod a few summers ago.I also do eat lobster, but that's cause I don't like it. I've also seen some huge ones. As you can see below. This things claw was the size of my shoe, and it was as long as a dishwasher.

Oh my god, that thing is massive!!

I hope not!!! Why did davey jones want a kraken when he could have THAT?!?!?!

This person is well-known for being overdramatic about her arguments on animal rights. I'm sure most if not all US restaurants have policies about putting the animals in boiling water, not heating it up slowly. Instant death. Very little pain involved.

Being from Newfoundland Canada I have eaten my fiar share of lobster, I have never cooked them but I remember when my mom cooked them there was very little water in the pot 2" maybe and the lobsters were more steamed rather than boiled. They never had much suffering bc they only moved around in the pot for a few seconds before dying. I think this story of a friends friend chef(or whatever) is bogus!

I enjoy eating seafood and meat and i believe being human we are meant to eat meat/animals.

There is a human way to euthanize animals for consumption and there is an inhumane way, it's so sad when you hear stories of the inhumane.

I've never liked lobster, then again I've never tried it. I'm more of a burger 'n fries kinda guy

The words "extremist vegetarian" made me giggle.
And we think the lobster dies instantly but how can we truly know what its like? Or if and on what level the brain is still working at and for how long? IMO we can only speculate without being a lobster ourselves.

And i think extremist overly dramatic vegans and vegetarians are really not helping their cause because people discount them as crazy.
And hey, IMO some are.

Not to say vegans and vegetarians are crazy, just stuff like PETA, whale wars, the people that vandalized my dads friends hummer bc it was polluting the earth, etc.

Back
Top Bottom