2 questions???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boggerscott

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok the first one is.... i keep seeing this word " FRY" what does that mean or what is it.
second question is, i was told that when i was going to use 2 - 110 watt floresent vho lights that was to much for a 55 gallon so i went down to 2 - 40 watt floresent plant lights. but now am told im running a low light system.

so i guess i want to no what is "fry" and whats a high light system and its benifits and what is the benifit of a low light system. which is perfered???

Fry - offspring of fish.

110w on a 55 is equivalent to 2wpg, which is a nice light level for growing plants. Your choices of plants increase with the higher levels.

ok thanks. now with high wattage does that limit me from some plants?
that would have been 2 bulbs at 110 watts a piece for 220 watts. would i just want to run one or stay with my 2 40 watt bulbs im using now?

No plant limits with high light. I run 324 watts over 72 gallons. You need to inject CO2 and adopt a strict dosing schedule of ferts at higher light levels. 220 would have been fine IMO, assuming you are ready to make the rest of the investments.

You'll be happier with two 55w bulbs, not two 110w bulbs. There are some plants that would rather have higher lighting (most broad leaf plants with red coloration). However, you can get a load of different plants with 2wpg. You can do some great things with 80w as well, just a bit less than the 110w.

Jchillin said:
You'll be happier with two 55w bulbs, not two 110w bulbs. There are some plants that would rather have higher lighting (most broad leaf plants with red coloration). However, you can get a load of different plants with 2wpg. You can do some great things with 80w as well, just a bit less than the 110w.

I have to agree. Since you’re just starting out with plants, a good medium or even a low light setting is a good starting point. Of course there are disadvantages; algae and the lack of color. There is nothing wrong with that. These tanks are very easy to maintain and you can probably get away with a min of fertilizer dosing to no dosing. Plant growth will be slow. I have a 55 with the setup mentioned above and can grow some red plants.

Here's my suggestion. Keep your current lights and get a lighting fixture similar to this one:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsU...fefreshwateraqualight48powercompactlight2x65w

Actually, I have that very same fixture on my tank and can recommend it highly.

Now here's the cool part. With your canopy you have you can run more than one light fixture at a time. I do that on my 60 gallon tank. I have two sets of lights on multiple timers and can control how much light I want and when I want it. (Get a timer, actually get several) Running your existing fixture and the one recommended would bring you into the high light range. You can experiment with lighting at your own pace running either one or both bulbs in your existing fixture.

The only problem I have with going to a high light setup is CO2. You have to use either pressurized CO2 or Flourish Excel to provide carbon to get good growth. I personally have a medium - high light setup and can get away with just dosing Flourish Excel.

I hope that helps.

1x 110w over a 55g tank is medium light, and will grow almost anything.
2x 4w (80w) over 55g is med/low light - Crypts, Java Ferns, Anubias, Moss, and some easier stem plants.
2x 110w (220w) over 55g is high light, and is recomended for folks with plant (and algae) experience, and requires CO2 supplements.

If you already have the 2x 40w, then stay with it a while. Learn the ins and outs of growing plants in a tank. Then, when you are ready, upgrade. Going for too much light, too early, is what turns most folks into algae experts instead of plant experts.

well thank you all once again. i will listen and stay with what i have then and learn. i just cant say enough about the people of aa your all great.

Back
Top Bottom