29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

10gal_nano

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello. I have a few tanks and my friend wanted a tank too. Today we got a 29 tank, aqueon quietflow30, 150 watt heater, sand, rock, and some driftwood. The light is a fluval plant full spectrum led. No co2 but it will have root tabs.
Fish
School of neons
School of Cory cats
Betta?
What else?

I would recommend getting a different filter. One rated for at least 50 gallons or more. You always want more filtration than the actual size of your tank. I run an AquaClear 50 on my 29 gallon and it does well.

Hello. I have a few tanks and my friend wanted a tank too. Today we got a 29 tank, aqueon quietflow30, 150 watt heater, sand, rock, and some driftwood. The light is a fluval plant full spectrum led. No co2 but it will have root tabs.
Fish
School of neons
School of Cory cats
Betta?
What else?

What else? PLANTS! ;)

I'd start with some easy plants like crypts, swords, anubias, and moss.

Seeing you have 1,800 posts I have a feeling you just might know all of this already, but I'm going to say it anyway :)

If you go with the betta, please make sure to have a back up plan. He/she may attack the other fish or the other fish may nip at the betta's fins. Adding the betta last is a good idea, as is having lots of hiding places. The betta I have in my avatar pic is in a community tank with cory cats, harlequin rasboras, rummynose tetras, and dark phantom tetras. (He's very placid, the only thing he threatens is his reflection.) The cory cats are fun, I'm glad you're getting those. You could look into the rummynose tetras, they're pretty adorable.

As for stocking, you could try aqadvisor.com It doesn't always give the most accurate results, but it gives you an idea.

+1 what RightTurnClyde said

Good luck!

Thanks everyone. Of corse plants. Lol. The filter is rated to 45 gallons

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a betta that does well even with my aqua clear 70 in a 29. It takes them a day or two to adjust to the increased flow, but as long as your filter has an adjustable flow dial you should be able to dial it back enough to both over filter and not throw mr. betta around the tank. Plants and decor also provide places to rest out of the flow.

Neons are incredibly shy in my tank and I never see them. To the point where I don't know if I'd get them again. The more plants/cover the more likely you are to see the neons at all. People say that in big enough groups they'll come out but I've had up to 15 or so at one time and they were still in the bottom half inch of the tank all the time.

I have a bunch of male guppy/endler crosses (the split tail cross you can find at most petsmarts) that serve as dither fish and pull the neons out a bit. Not much though. The guppy/endlers are great though. Very active. They don't bug the betta despite being very colorful and quick. If you can find them I'd highly suggest them.

Otos are great too. They have fun personalities and I never have to clean my glass thanks to them. They love being in groups though. So in a 29 gallon tank you'll probably have to supplementally feed them occasionally. I have a little clear cup that I put pellets in inside the tank (so it doesn't make a mess.) They're pretty smart little guys. They know now when they see the cup it's time to eat. Even so they usually wait for the pellets to soften up for a few hours before they'll touch it. (Hence the cup. By the time the otos want to touch the pellets it'd be a crumbled mess in the gravel.)

I also have ghost/amano shrimp in my tank but that could be hit or miss with a betta.

I'm sure you know this but do add the betta last. Get everything set up and then add the betta to a breeder box/net for a while. Let him get used to the other fish without being able to go after them. He'll probably check them out a bit, perhaps make a couple darts but as long as any aggression is mild and goes away in a day or two should be fine.

The guppy endler crosses can be found at petsmart I believe.

Thanks for the help. Not sure on plants, that's why I didn't post. Would rather not have guppies.

How about 2 ottos. Would they get along with Cory cats?

Fish list 29 gal

- 10-15 neon tetras
- 6 Cory cats
- 2-3 ottos
- 6-10 rasbora tetras

Anything else?

The endler cross has an endler body type - doesn't look like a guppy. If you want to see your fish at the least I can suggest going on the high side with the number of neons. Like I said, even with 15 in my tank they stayed right down at the substrate.

I wouldn't go less than 3 otos, they really do better in groups. I have 6 in the same size tank, I aupplementally feed every once in a while but for the most part they get what they need from the biofilm in the tank. If you try to put them in the newly set up tank though, they probably won't make it waiting for the biofilm to grow.

What is your full stocking?

Can the blue dwarf gouriamis get along with tetras/ ottos/ cories

You can see the full list on my profile page.

Right now I'm down to 8 neon tetras. I've had these guys for years but I'm no longer replacing them when I occasionally lose a fish. ( I rarely lose fish but when I do it's usually a neon... (I do wonder if perhaps the initial quality of the stock wasn't great ...) Anyway with neons/glolights I found that I could have a fully stocked tank with those guys and you'd never know I had fish in my tank. Wasn't what I was going for. That's why I got the 9 scissortail endler crosses and now (finally) I can see fish in my tank. And there's the added bonus of the tetras coming out (a little) more with the endless darting around. I also have the 6 otos the male betta and some inverts.

I had no luck with cores in this tank. I don't know if that is because I initially stocked from a local petco with questionable conditions (same place I bought the neons years ago - and I doubt that's a coincidence. I don't buy fish there anymore and everything is much better :p)

You can also see the list of plants. Given you're on the planted forum this is the place if you have questions about that as well. (though I'm not the person to ask generally) Oddly enough I've managed to keep a significant number of plants with just the stock lights. I've finally upgraded the lights a bit so I can try out a couple plants that prefer more lighting, but you'd be surprised what you can grow (very slowly) even with some stock lights given the right spectra of the bulbs.

Attachments

• IMG_1339.jpg
    IMG_1339.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 43
You can also see what I mean about seeing the fish in the attached picture. I've a dozen tetras in the tank and can't see any of them. The Betta and the endlers though are playing in the filter stream at the top of the tank putting on a show!

I've never had gouriamis, but I've read they're a lot like betta's you have to be careful about getting more than one and some are going to be feistier than others.

Have you tried plugging your stocking ideas into aqadvisor. It's not a perfect tool but it is a great starting point to give you a general idea of what will work in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom