40 gallon conversion to planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HairlessPotter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i decided to turn my already running 40 breeder into a planted tank. I switched the gravel out for sand the other night and got some driftwood branches. It already looks much better. Right now i have a couple comet goldfish in there but after this winter ill be putting them in my pond and re-stocking. Right now i would like to focus on plants. My question, for now, is about lights. I have a single t8 bulb 17w and i know thats not much, especially since its a breeder. Would i be able to use a 4 bulb t5 set up that i used to use for a reef tank? Idk if that is overkill or not. I was thinking i could put that at the back of the tank where most of the plants will be and slide the single t8 to the front. Thoughts? Suggestions?

First before changing anything else, you do know that goldfish will make a nice planted tank next to impossible and you will most likely get frustrated if you are really wanting to do a nice planted tank. Goldies will eat many plants and pull up tasting or laying on and smuching many others. If it were me, since your planning to move the goldies out in spring, I'd leave the tank how it is and wait until you move the goldies to start serious work on the tank. If you want to start now I can suggest getting some Java fern, java moss, and anubia to attach to your DW/branches. They can handle low light levels and goldies will actually leave them alone for the most part. There are also plant anchors I use with my big goldies for other plants that I can link you too if you want to add some other plants to test the waters so to speak.

I was worried about that.. Well i think I'll just start with some java fern or moss for now then add better lights and start getting it fully planted once the goldies are gone

Plants and Goldfish can get along just fine. Keep your Goldfish appropriately fed and your plants will be fine.

Four bulbs of T5 over a 40b is way overkill. You will need CO2 injection. Yes, it's a lot of gallons but WPG is bunk. A 40b is shallow and needs to be lighted carefully. I had two bulbs T5HO over a 40b with CO2 injection and it was still too much light. IMO, try with what you have, you will likely be surprised at what will grow. Example: I have a 75 gallon with one T8 bulb (32 watts I think) over it and I couldn't stop the plants from growing if I tried (short of weed killer).

HairlessPotter said:
Ok I'll just go slow and keep the goldies fed. Oh ya and I'm doing a diy co2 right now

Offer them fresh blanched veggies daily and you shouldn't have any issues.

DIY CO2 in a 40b is not really going to cut it. It is too inconsistent and when you consider the massive surface area for out gassing, compared to water volume, you will be losing most of it to the air. If you are considering going into high lighting you will need a proper pressurized CO2 rig and a good diffusion method.

Even offering veggies daily won't guarantee goldies will leave plants alone. Mine get lots of veggies and still go on kicks of plant eating especially ambulia, narrowleaf temple, and dwarf sag. They do tend to leave crypts and swords alone. But if one of my large guys decides to sleep on a plant at night it tends to be alittle sad looking in the morning but I found using these anchors really helped with keeping my plants down with my big goldies. Professional Plant Anchors (on sale)(reg. $2.29)

Back
Top Bottom