55 gal planted- green water during nitrogen cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wetfarticus

Aquarium Advice Activist
Being new to the hobby i know im in for a few surprises as i learn. This is number 3. Already discovered it can be expensive, and that no matter how much i read up, i dont even half know what i am doing.

Now i wake up to green water. Algae? I dont know.

Im 8 days into cycling
Have an Aquatop CF-500 with the charcoal removed and UV turned off
Have a Finnex Planted 24/7 LED light
Heater is cranked up to 82
Running the bubbler over night
Carrib Sea Eco Complete and Tahitian moon sand
Dont have Co2 yet so using API Co2 booster daily
Used Seachem Prime when i filled with RO water

Dont know what is causing this or what i should do
If it is green water algae i read the UV would kill it but also read the UV is bad for the bacteria im trying to establish.

Help please?

IMG_0089.jpg

I wouldn't worry about hurting bacteria with the uv. After 8 days you wouldn't have much anyways. Put the uv on and do 3 large water changes and it should clear up. Make sure u clean all your filter pads (in tank water) after a few days to remove any sludge build ups

Just dosing co2 isn't a good idea either. I'd be adding flourish and trace aswell. Especially if your running the finnex on 24/7 mode

I wouldn't worry about hurting bacteria with the uv. After 8 days you wouldn't have much anyways. Put the uv on and do 3 large water changes and it should clear up. Make sure u clean all your filter pads (in tank water) after a few days to remove any sludge build ups

Just dosing co2 isn't a good idea either. I'd be adding flourish and trace aswell. Especially if your running the finnex on 24/7 mode

Forgot to list it, but i am dosing the Flourish as well. Also sunk root tabs when setting up.
Dont know what trace is. Will have to research that
So the UV is ok to run now? And the charcoal? Should i put that back in the filter as well, when i go to clean the filter pads?

Forgot to list it, but i am dosing the Flourish as well. Also sunk root tabs when setting up.
Dont know what trace is. Will have to research that
So the UV is ok to run now? And the charcoal? Should i put that back in the filter as well, when i go to clean the filter pads?

Shouldn't need the charcoal to be honest. It will help tho if you want to add it. Just make sure you remove it before it exhausts. I've never used it in my filters and haven't had any problems.

Chuck the light on for 24 hours and do a 70-80% change and see if it's better by tomorrow

Shouldn't need the charcoal to be honest. It will help tho if you want to add it. Just make sure you remove it before it exhausts. I've never used it in my filters and haven't had any problems.

Chuck the light on for 24 hours and do a 70-80% change and see if it's better by tomorrow

What would i put in the empty filter tray instead of charcoal?

What would i put in the empty filter tray instead of charcoal?

More ceramic noodles or filter floss :). Filter floss will help clear up your green water problem too. Just make sure you change it out every 3-4 weeks

wet...

This hobby can be as expensive, confusing, and frustrating as you allow. Or, it can be very inexpensive, elementary and interestingly fun. I keep multiple, large, tanks I got on sale at the pet store or from Craig's list. I researched the least expensive ways to filter, heat, light, plant and maintain them too. I also researched the hardiest fish and the easiest ways to establish the tank, so it was fun. Not saying I didn't stumble a few times, though.

Sorry things got complicated. It happens if you get the wrong advice and many drop the hobby too soon.

Hope you hang in there.

B

wet...

This hobby can be as expensive, confusing, and frustrating as you allow. Or, it can be very inexpensive, elementary and interestingly fun. I keep multiple, large, tanks I got on sale at the pet store or from Craig's list. I researched the least expensive ways to filter, heat, light, plant and maintain them too. I also researched the hardiest fish and the easiest ways to establish the tank, so it was fun. Not saying I didn't stumble a few times, though.

Sorry things got complicated. It happens if you get the wrong advice and many drop the hobby too soon.

Hope you hang in there.

B

Thanks for the input. I have spent a lot of money, for sure. I started with the tank, which i got used and thought i was getting at a great price. That turns out was my first and biggest lesson, and what set me up to spend much more than originally planned. After i got the tank home and days later i noticed a ton of scratches on one side. Insult to injury, about 2 weeks later a local aquarium shop had an enormous sale and i could have got a brand new tank/stand combo (36 gal) for the same money i spent on the used, scratched up one. From there on, i threw money at it. I may not have got top of the line equipment, but its not bargain basement stuff for sure. Some things I definitely went big on as i deemed them to be more significantly important. For example, i opted for the Aquatop CF-500 canister filter. Not top of the line, but closer to the top than the bottom. Could have used a simpler HOB filter system. I like the filter media options better and it is, by all accounts that i have read, a very good filter. Bought an RO water filter system as we have very hard water from the tap here. Also have a Drs Foster and Smiths Deluxe Fully Automatic Co2 injection system on the way. So i am ok with the money aspect.
I am absolutely aware that troubles are going to come. They've already started. I am learning just how much i have to learn. Im looking forward to it.
As you said it can be rewarding, and has already been very rewarding. Never done a planted tank or even attempted any kind of aquascape before. Dont know if the pic i tried to post above is visible, but i was AMAZED at how beautiful it turned out. Could be a lot better, but i am thrilled with the result. That being said, im pretty sure a few of the plants are in trouble, no doubt from something i did or didnt do.
But i am learning, and nowhere near the point where i would consider giving up. Im hooked. The way it has turned out to this point more than makes up for the overpriced, scratched tank. Im ahead of the game, all things considered, and I haven't even got to livestock yet.
Sorry for the long winded reply. Got carried away.

Back
Top Bottom