55g Rescape Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, my tank has been running (again) for 6 months now. I am not good at aqua-scaping and really want advice/suggestions from anyone that has some to give. Thanks in advance.

Current Equipment:
55g
2 MP Bio Wheel Filters
300 watt heater
48" shop light 6500k
Bubble disc
DIY sponge bottle filter

Current Plants:
Water Sprite
Wisteria
Amazon Sword & Unknown Sword
Corkscrew Vals (just received and have melted, hope they recover)
Crypt
Red Tiger Lotus
Java Moss
ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata
Java Ferns (3 wendelov love & 2 regular, have them but not in tank yet)
No ferts

Current Inhabitants:
3 Bolivian Rams
4 Rosy Barbs (2 are long-finned m/f)
2 Otos
4 Fals julii Cory Catfish
2 Bristlenose Plecos
4 Silvertip Tetra's (2 orange/2 yellow)
2 Ghost Shrimp (was 6, being eaten by other inhabitants)

Current Decor:
Pool Filter Sand
Coconut Halves
Driftwood (2' and I really want to break/cut into 2-3 pieces)
DIY Rock Cave & Arch
Glass Votive
Rock Trail

Subtrate:
2 inches of organic potting soil capped with 1.5 inches of pool filter sand

First, I really want to break/cut this huge piece of DW so I can utilize the dw and tank space more efficiently. Does anyone have suggestions how to do it without it being a "perfect cut" with a saw?

This link is how tank is now with the exception of the water sprite is now bunched to the left side which you can see it on the next link
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Geronica's Album: My 55g - Picture
This pic is possible breakdown of dw pieces
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Geronica's Album: My 55g - Picture

Oh! I journal! :lol: Did you receive those java ferns I sent you last week? I actually like how that DW looks, but if you want to break it up and arrange is differently, I would love to see how it turns out....But remember you want to keep the scape un centered, or like people say "the rule of 2/3's"....looks cool though!

I like the DW, I think it give a good statement to the tank where as smaller pieces are just going to be there giving no real impact. Also but you don't want to put any large plant dead center. Always off center. Your sprite/wisteris are okay as the grouping is large enough not to look centered too much. I like everything except the stones lined along the front, they don't look natural. Instead a randon not neatly placed grouping of stones at the left base of the DW and a couple here or there to accent single plants. Then the plant to the right by the caves. Cut the tall piece in half and plant them to make that grouping larger. Then each time they grow tall, cut them and replant so you end up with a full group of the plant in that corner.

Back
Top Bottom