A Few Questions - Planted 20 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dgaplin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here's a couple of questions for my planted 20 gallon - 23Wx12Dx17H.

Currently i'm running:
-AquaClear 30 with the carbon bag removed
-Single T8 Zoo Med Flora Sun, 18" 15watts - 10 hours on a timer.
-Marineland Hidden LED - 17"
-Black aquarium sand
-Driftwood
-2 Java Ferns, 1 Crypt Wendtii, 2 Crested Java Ferns, 2 Anubias - trimmed to just rhizome due to black algae covering leaves.
-API Leafzone dosed once a week

I have an extra Aqueon QuietFlow 10 that I was thinking about using without the filter media. Would the extra flow be beneficial to the plants or could it cause too much movement resulting in reduced CO2?

Should I be using the carbon bag in the Aquaclear 30? I've read a lot of differing opinions on carbon in a planted tank with using liquid ferts. How about in the QuietFlow 10?

I also have an extra Zoo Med Tropic Sun T8 15 watt bulb. I'm assuming the Flora Sun would be better for the plants but what are your opinions? Could I use both these bulbs together? If so, what are my options for running a dual T8 on a 20 gallon but still using a hood - I have cats.

Lastly, I have been studying up on DIY CO2 systems. What is the recommended size/setup for a 20gallon? Is this even necessary for my set-up?

:thanks:

Another thing that i've noticed:

Several months back I changed from play sand to black aquarium sand (Petco brand) and have noticed a significant reduction in the rate of my plants' growth. What benefits would play sand have over Petco's aquarium sand? The only physical differences were that the play sand was much finer and of course a different color.

Another thing that i've noticed:

Several months back I changed from play sand to black aquarium sand (Petco brand) and have noticed a significant reduction in the rate of my plants' growth. What benefits would play sand have over Petco's aquarium sand? The only physical differences were that the play sand was much finer and of course a different color.

Sand is inert&offers no nutrients for plants...most likely when you changed substrate the plants were somewhat bothered&with replanting them they'll need an adjustment period.

Sand is inert&offers no nutrients for plants...most likely when you changed substrate the plants were somewhat bothered&with replanting them they'll need an adjustment period.

Makes sense, thanks.

Here's a couple of questions for my planted 20 gallon - 23Wx12Dx17H.

Currently i'm running:

-AquaClear 30 with the carbon bag removed

-Single T8 Zoo Med Flora Sun, 18" 15watts - 10 hours on a timer.

-Marineland Hidden LED - 17"

-Black aquarium sand

-Driftwood

-2 Java Ferns, 1 Crypt Wendtii, 2 Crested Java Ferns, 2 Anubias - trimmed to just rhizome due to black algae covering leaves.

-API Leafzone dosed once a week

I have an extra Aqueon QuietFlow 10 that I was thinking about using without the filter media. Would the extra flow be beneficial to the plants or could it cause too much movement resulting in reduced CO2?

Should I be using the carbon bag in the Aquaclear 30? I've read a lot of differing opinions on carbon in a planted tank with using liquid ferts. How about in the QuietFlow 10?

I also have an extra Zoo Med Tropic Sun T8 15 watt bulb. I'm assuming the Flora Sun would be better for the plants but what are your opinions? Could I use both these bulbs together? If so, what are my options for running a dual T8 on a 20 gallon but still using a hood - I have cats.

Lastly, I have been studying up on DIY CO2 systems. What is the recommended size/setup for a 20gallon? Is this even necessary for my set-up?

:thanks:

You could run the extra filter with filter floss only as a mechanical filter. This will help remove the detritus that gets stirred up since you will not be vacuuming the substrate like a non-planted tank. The extra circulation will not drive off any CO2 since you are not injecting/adding any to begin with.
Carbon bag not needed.
With a full hood you might be limited with just one light fixture. Are you talking about putting the extra bulb in a different fixture or or putting both bulbs in a new fixture? If you got a hinged glass top then you could mount both light fixtures. A single T-8 is very low light especially with a tank that deep.
CO2 benefits most plants but with very low light IMO it may not help. Won't hurt but may not be utilized. As light increases then it would become more valuable.
DIY CO2 setups are low cost and generally effective in tanks 20g or less. I ran DIY for about a year and it made a big difference in plant growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could run the extra filter with filter floss only as a mechanical filter. This will help remove the detritus that gets stirred up since you will not be vacuuming the substrate like a non-planted tank. The extra circulation will not drive off any CO2 since you are not injecting/adding any to begin with.
Carbon bag not needed.
With a full hood you might be limited with just one light fixture. Are you talking about putting the extra bulb in a different fixture or or putting both bulbs in a new fixture? If you got a hinged glass top then you could mount both light fixtures. A single T-8 is very low light especially with a tank that deep.
CO2 benefits most plants but with very low light IMO it may not help. Won't hurt but may not be utilized. As light increases then it would become more valuable.
DIY CO2 setups are low cost and generally effective in tanks 20g or less. I ran DIY for about a year and it made a big difference in plant growth.

Thanks for this information. I never considered a glass top before - did a search and they are less expensive than I thought. Is there a difference in running one dual T8 fixture vs two single T8 fixtures?

Update:

Went to Petsmart and bought the glass top and Aqueon dual T5 fixture with a 14 watt daylight (6,700K) and a 14 watt colormax bulbs.

Cut the carbon out of the Quietflow 10 and put it to use.

Would it be beneficial to run the original fixture as well with it's 15watt T8? Guess that would make it 2.15 watts per gallon instead of 1.4.

Wpg isn't really an accurate way of properly measuring light intensity..par values are much more telling,not a bad fixture to begin with though...take it slow &ease into it...

It would not hurt to to run the new fixture on the tank. It will add some light and prevent any shadows in the front (not that there are any). However, the plants you have are slow growing so you might not notice any difference with it. Also, you might get tired of lifting and removing it to feed the fish and performing maintenance after a while. Plus, the dual fixture is pretty sleek compared to the standard T-8 fixture which would be blocking it. Been there, done that.

I ordered the 20 gallon low-light package today from plantedaquariumcentral.com

Comes with:

2 x Java Fern or Lace java fern
2 x Cryptocoryne Wendtii "red"
2 x Cryptocoryne Retrospiralis, or Spiralis
2 x Anacharis or Anacharis narrow leaf, or Bacopa Carolina
1 x Marimo Ball
1 medium Amazon Sword

Based on the picture above, how would you guys set up this tank? There are 5 pieces of driftwood - two behind the large vertical piece that the java ferns are attached. Would you use only the new plants or incorporate old and new? Sorry for all the novice stuff here - I just want an awesome, natural looking tank.

I ordered the 20 gallon low-light package today from plantedaquariumcentral.com

Comes with:

2 x Java Fern or Lace java fern
2 x Cryptocoryne Wendtii "red"
2 x Cryptocoryne Retrospiralis, or Spiralis
2 x Anacharis or Anacharis narrow leaf, or Bacopa Carolina
1 x Marimo Ball
1 medium Amazon Sword

Based on the picture above, how would you guys set up this tank? There are 5 pieces of driftwood - two behind the large vertical piece that the java ferns are attached. Would you use only the new plants or incorporate old and new? Sorry for all the novice stuff here - I just want an awesome, natural looking tank.

Can see a pic..

Can see a pic..

Sorry, I was referring the pic of my tank on the first page - using that driftwood and plants along with the new plants. I'm thinking the larger, reddish brown piece of wood maybe causing too much dark space behind it and of course taking up too much area that could be better used for plants.

Made room for the new plants on the way. The crypt spiralis is a shorter, more foreground variant, correct? I'm thinking the amazon sword should go behind the wood between the two java ferns. Anacharis back left corner and fill in with the other plants. Thoughts?

Made room for the new plants on the way. The crypt spiralis is a shorter, more foreground variant, correct? I'm thinking the amazon sword should go behind the wood between the two java ferns. Anacharis back left corner and fill in with the other plants. Thoughts?

Crypt spiralis will grow tall AFAIK.

Crypt parva is short and slow growing.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crypt spiralis will grow tall AFAIK.

Crypt parva is short and slow growing.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IC, I just googled crypt spiralis - will be a background plant for sure.

Added the ordered plants. Plantedaquariumcentral.com did a great job packing the plants and only 2 day shipping from AZ to TN. All plants looked very green and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom