Advice on Aquascaping 75 Gallon- suitable plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nelo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gallon that I acquired from someone (already cycled with preexisting fish) that's all set up and ready for an aquascape. I'm not currently at home and will have to take a look at the wattage, but it seems to be a pretty strong fluorescent bulb. The substrate is sand and smooth pebbles mixed together. The only problem is I'm weary of putting any plants in yet because I have a pleco that's about 6 inches long in there along with two rope fish. I've heard that these two species can be bad with live plants (pleco with eating plants of course and rope fish will supposedly uproot them) but I really love the look of a planted tank.

Any suggestions for plant species, or will they just get munched away by the pleco? I feed brine shrimp, blood worms, and veggies to him so i'm hoping that will keep him full enough to keep away from my plants.

Also, I currently have 10 g and 5 g low tech planted tanks that are doing well but I want this tank to be fancier. What's a low cost way of infusing CO2? I've heard of the coke bottle method.

Thanks!

Plecos won't eat live healthy plants. I agree getting plants to take root could be difficult with those fish.

Get anubias, they need to be tired down to something. Also look at crypts and dwarf sagittaria. Different hygrophila are great.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Java fern tied to driftwood, potted dwarf pennywort, lotus (nymphaea spp), potted anubias, banana plants, most floating plants are greatly appreciated by the fish mentioned by providing cover from direct light. Common plecos, believe it or not, left all of my algae covered driftwood alone and ate a couple tadpoles instead in my quarantine tank. Come to find out they grow to prefer meatier fare with age while cichlids (american) go from predatory to grazing with age. I had to laugh

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom