Algae and CO2 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angry the Clown

Aquarium Advice Activist
Now that I am in the swing with EI, I am beginning the fight with algae. When fighting the various forms of algae that require a consistent level of CO2 (BBA), does this include the time that the lights are off? I manually turn the CO2 on about 1 hour before the lights come on, and right about the time that the lights turn off in the evening. I have a 10 hour photoperiod. Should I keep the CO2 running all night to maintain constant levels, or should the CO2 only be available during the photoperiod?

Tank info

75 gal
260w PCF
CO2 injection

Ferts:
KH2PO4 1/4 tsp 3x weekly
K2SO4 1/4 tsp 3x weekly
KNO3 3/4 tsp 3x weekly

CSM+B 1/4 tsp 3x weekly

GH 12d
KH 6d
PH from tap 7.2
PH with CO2 6.8-7.0

I should add that my plants are pearling and fizzing like crazy.

TIA!

I don't run my CO2 at night, not really necessary. I try to conserve as much CO2 as possible, so I'm not always going down and refilling the bottle.

I leave mine on all the time using a pH probe to turn it on and off, but have thought about having it off at night. You should be able to turn it off at night with no problem.

Your kH and pH suggest a correct level of CO2, if not a bit low, but also suggest a very high level right out of the tap ... or something else going on with your water that is making things look weird...

I would recommend reading through the sticky in this forum about using a drop checker and reference kH solution to get a more accurate reading on what your CO2 levels really are in the tank. Seems that CO2 is the magic remedy for most algae problems...

The CO2 seems too low too me.
Add a tiny bit more each day and note plant and fish health/response, be careful.
Do not rush this.

Staggering the lights so that the entire 260w comes on for only 4 hours will help also.
You may add some Excel and do large water changes to re set the tank and beat back the algae with some manual removal and pruning as well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Back
Top Bottom