Algae Problems..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iAmnoha14

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, I was wondering if someone knew about how to get rid of algae. I have a 55 gallon tank with 1 tiger Oscar in it and about 2 weeks ago I noticed the water was starting to get cloudy, and just this past week the water got very green. I don't know if it has to do with the fluorescent light, but I do regular water changes and feed the fish once a day. I can post pics if needed. Thanks! :)

I think it depends on algae mAybe but I would get a snail,pleco or shrimp to get rid of it. Also you could get algae scrapper or mag-float to get rid of it. Also some people might say Oscar needs bigger tank.

Yeah I'm getting a bigger tank very soon. And I already have a snail but it doesn't do that much besides sit there. (I'm sure he's not dead because sometimes I see him moving around when the light is off)

Find out what kind of algae you have before getting any kind of algae eating livestock for your tank. Certain algae eaters only eat certain kinds of algae and they will only help to keep the algae at bay. You need plants to compete with the algae for the excess nutrients in your tank. Lighting can also be a contributing factor to your algae problem, for your new tank try getting 6700k T5 lights.

An Id on what kind of algae you have will help folks suggest a solution. Different types have different causes/remedies. Post a pic of it if you are unsure what kind it is.

Also-

Type/amount of lighting?
Duration of light per day?
Any live plants?
Nitrate, nitrite, ammonia reading?
Are you adding or have you added any chemicals to the tank?
What is your maintenance schedule and wht maintenance do you do?
What is the current stock?
Feeding schedule/amount?
How long has the tank been established?

Answers to these questions will help diagnose the issue.

If the water's green, then it's the creatively named "green water". Usually caused by some combination of 1) Too much light, especially external light, 2) Excess nutrients 3) Ammonia spikes.

Also, he said his water was green. No algae eater that I know of can eat GW.

That probably fits the discription a little better. Is there a chemical I could buy to get rid of it or would I have to take the fish out and do a major tank cleaning?

Here are some pics

Attachments

• image-4044435096.jpg
    image-4044435096.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 52
  • image-1238081837.jpg
    image-1238081837.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 69
What are you lights and how often do you change the water? As stated above, too much light and excess nutrients will cause GW. Thus you should do frequent PWC's and reduce lighting and see if that helps.

I know that's the lights are fluorescent but I would have to check and see because I dont know off the top of my head. And I do weekly water changes

I would suggest leaving the lights off for a few day 4-5 days. also do a few 2-3 water changes in the next few days

we really can't help you much if you don't answer the questions above! also is your tank cycled? how long have you had the fish?

you say you have a good WC schedule .. what is it? how often and how much water do you change out?

Back
Top Bottom