Althernanthera lilacina care. Any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joegourami

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought a bunch of Althernanthera lilacina stems and I need to know their care. I've had Althernantheras before but they always melt. Currently I have CO2 injection, high light, and Red Sea Florabase substrate, I add ferts every 3 weeks and root tabs every 3 months. Any tricks or advice with this plant?

With high lights and CO2 you really should look into getting dry ferts and dosing PPS-Pro or El. Also red plants do better in low nitrate and higher phosphate tanks. I run my 220 that is full of non-green plants at 10ppm and 1.0-1.5ppm phosphates. Don't know what ferts your dosing every 3 weeks but that doesn't seem often enough.

With high lights and CO2 you really should look into getting dry ferts and dosing PPS-Pro or El. Also red plants do better in low nitrate and higher phosphate tanks. I run my 220 that is full of non-green plants at 10ppm and 1.0-1.5ppm phosphates. Don't know what ferts your dosing every 3 weeks but that doesn't seem often enough.

I use Vita Flora complete liquid fert mixed with Flourish Iron. So shloud I dose every week?

I'm not at all familar with the Vita Flora but what does the directions on the bottle say? As for the Flourish Iron I know it says about dosing 2x a week.

I'm not at all familar with the Vita Flora but what does the directions on the bottle say? As for the Flourish Iron I know it says about dosing 2x a week.

It says "dose 1 tsp per 10 gallons every month" this fert has no phosphates or nitrates. But contains K, Fe, Ca, Mg, B, among others.

Does it have potassium? Do you know what your nitrate and phosphate readings are? They should be 10-20ppm nitrates and .5-1.0ppm phosphates in a planted tank.

I really can't comment on that fert but when you have high light and CO2 your plants use more ferts. Just because a bottle says use this amount every how ever often doesn't mean that is the proper amount for all tanks since all tanks need different amounts depending on light and co2. I'd up it but I'd also get a fert that has your other macros of nitrates, phosphates, and potassium.

Yes it has 3 grams per 100 ml of potassium. My nitrate readings are 25-30 ppm I don't have access to a phosphate test.

Your nitrates are alittle high but since your plants are showing signs of potassium deficiency then the amount your dosing isn't enough. You'll have to try adjusting your dosing until you get the right amount.

Back
Top Bottom