Amazon sword

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do all amazon sward plants shoot out "runner stems"? Or is this a weird male/female plant type thing? Will it shoot out runner plants if it essentially is a runner plant?

Yes, swords shoot out runners. It's a form of asexual reproduction. I'm not sure what the second half of your question is asking.

Yes, swords shoot out runners. It's a form of asexual reproduction. I'm not sure what the second half of your question is asking.

What I am asking is...I have a "mother" sword plant that is shooting out runners. When those baby plants grow up, will they shoot out runner plants of their own?

I've seen six inch tall amazons with runners. Mine didn't shoot a runner until it was almost ten. It's variable.

It's probably a combination of health and size. A smaller plant that's in a CO2 injected tank with good ferts will put out loads more that a large plant in a low-tech tank that can barely keep up with its own metabolic needs. Of course there's a spectrum between those two extremes.

I agree with aqua_chem, what was said pretty much describes what I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom