amazon sword

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliffz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Guys,
I installed the new Coralite 4X65w--I only put on 2X65w bulbs for now. The plants are doing well. Question. My amazon sword has sprouted what a long "stem" up to the lite! The top has a 3 inch "mini " amazon sprouting . Do I cut this entire sprout at the base or just the top plant and throw it out? (dont need another amazon.)
I have another one with no "baby" but a sprout up to the light-its hitting the glass canopy. Can I cut it off? I understand these sprouts take away nutrients from the base plant?

Also--how long does it take Java moss to adhere to driftwood? Can I also tie a banana plant to driftwood? How long till it aderes?Thanks
Cliff

They will flower if allowed to get above the water line. If you have side shoots running under the node and at least 3-4 leaves, snip it at that location and replant. And yes, it is just like a baby in the womb, it needs to be nourished.

In regard to the moss, moss "covers" the driftwood but you have to manage it so that it stays there. Folks tend to use thread to accomplish that. I'm not familiar with the banana plant so hopefully someone will chime in.

Clarification:
2 different sword plants
One is above water and about to flower--no babys. Any reason to let this sprout grow/flower?
The other not above water line but has a baby. Do I cut the baby off at the base of plant or 10 inches up and cut at the base of the baby?
Thanks

Only reasons to let the sprout continue is so that you can see the flowers and get a baby plant. If you're not interested, then by all means remove it. To remove you'll want to cut the runner as close to the mother plant as possible.

With the swords, you can just cut the runner off if you like, at the base next to the mother plant. If the runner is above water, it will flower. If below the water surface, it will grow roots and form baby plants. Also, if it flowers, and then you put back under the water, roots will grow and babies will form.

Back
Top Bottom