Amazon sword growth??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockyofhockey

Aquarium Advice Addict
What's up guys,

I have a 40 gallon planted aquarium but for some reason my sword is the only plant not growing ??. I have crypts that I got at 2 inches that are now huge ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446592900.749834.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446592928.317243.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446592950.299497.jpg!! I have an anubias (forgot specific Type) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446592879.251750.jpgthat flowers once a month. And bunches of Java fern that's fine.
Back to the OG question- how come my sword does not grow? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446593019.356492.jpg I have flourite + substrate and complement my sword with root tabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a 29g with a sword my substrate florite and black blasting sand! It tool it forever to grow!! I completely understand! I have Ludwig java fern water sprite anubias and some high light plants! I put a root tab under mine to it took about 4 months for it to actually start growing! I have a finnex 24 / 7 planted plus light and I dosed it with co2 and leaf zone and I think that seemed to help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 29g with a sword my substrate florite and black blasting sand! It tool it forever to grow!! I completely understand! I have Ludwig java fern water sprite anubias and some high light plants! I put a root tab under mine to it took about 4 months for it to actually start growing! I have a finnex 24 / 7 planted plus light and I dosed it with co2 and leaf zone and I think that seemed to help!

Ok thanks a ton. I was just confused because swords aren't slow growing plants like anubias and right now my anubias is out growing it lol. But I mean I'll give it some time and see what it does

I believe it just have a long adjustment period. Once it settles in it will grow. Mine only gained like 2 inches the first couple months I had it.

Caleb

So many exclamation points...

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

A couple of things come to mind. How much light is there? The amount of light that crypts and Anubias need to flourish is less than for swords. How long has the sword been planted? When swords develop a bulb at their base they tend to stop growing. The cure is to cut off the bulb and replant. The bulb can be planted and one or more new plants will come from it.

No help, but I had a kleiner bar and an amazon sword in the same tank. The sword adjusted quickly and grew like wildfire. The kleiner bar was dormant for months (6 months or so) before it started to grow. It always looked healthy, Just didn't grow for the longest time.

A couple of things come to mind. How much light is there? The amount of light that crypts and Anubias need to flourish is less than for swords. How long has the sword been planted? When swords develop a bulb at their base they tend to stop growing. The cure is to cut off the bulb and replant. The bulb can be planted and one or more new plants will come from it.

I have a double T8 fixture. Light is on for 10 hours

Back
Top Bottom