Another Algae Dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flushingfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have recently made some major changes to my 20G high tank. I started by replacing the standard lighting for a Coralife 65w CF. I changed the substrate from the evil neon blue gravel to Eco Complete. I am running 2-2liter bottles of DIY CO2. I am also dosing withe Greg Watson dry ferts.

KNO3-3/4 tsp.
KSO4-1/2 tsp.
KH2PO4-1/16 tsp
CSM+B-1/4 tsp
this is the dosing for the week.

My problem now is the abundance of Green Hair Algae I seem to be growing. Amongst my collection of java fern, anubia, crypt parva and undulata, ludwigia grandulosa, green cabomba lives this hairy green menace. Anyone have any ideas how to rid myself of the green menace.

Attachments

• hair_algae_137.jpg
    hair_algae_137.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 25
  • hair_algae2_195.jpg
    hair_algae2_195.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 25
I've tried cleaning it off but the leaves are coming with it. It's pretty tough stuff. My CO2 levels have been pretty consistantly in the 25-30 ppm range.
KH-2 degrees
PH 6.2
On a hunch I ran nitrate test and came up with about 40 ppm which seems a bit high to me. I may back off on the KNO3 for a couple of weeks and see if that has any effect.
Any other ideas I'm open to suggestions

I've had the same issue when my nitrates were too high. Most standard NO3 test kits have a margin of error of 10 ppm if not worse. Shoot for 15-20 ppm. Bring them down a bit though :)

Back
Top Bottom