Any reddish low-light plants???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahelmes71

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think I probably already know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway:

Does anybody know of any plants that can grow in low to moderate light that have a reddish tint to add a little variety?

My understanding has always been that the more colorful plants require high light.

What size is the tank and what is the lighting? There are some plants that have red foliage and can be kept in medium light setups.

I have some red crypts that are a dark brownish burgundy color, they turn more green if I don't dose enough ferts.

I've got a 55 gallon with just one of those Marineland Double-bright LED set ups. Not sure of what kind of wattage per gallon those equate to, but I'm sure it's considered on the low end.

Aqua-chem, good question. I'd love to get a red plant, but I'd be interested in hearing what you've got in the "not green" department! :)

There are some crypts that are reddish/brown that you might like. The nice reds/pinks usually come from dosing ferts and higher intensity lighting.

I would agree crypts should do well in you tank. I am not too familiar with LED fixtures, just flourescents. If your tank is in fact medium light, there are many different swords that would look good: Kleinbar Sword, Oriental Sword, and Red Flame Swords just to name a few.

In growing mine with the marinland double bright LEDs just one strip on a 29 gallon, I also have a 15watt stock flourescent strip to supplement. Here is one of my red crypts.

ForumRunner_20120116_204635.jpg

Some Crypts as others have said and I've got a couple of Ludwigias that have some pink to red tones. Brightest at the top of the plant near the light.

Ludwigia Repens (?)
Ludwigia sp. "red"

At my limit on pics sorry.

The thing about some ludwigia species is that they will grow green under lower light, or even just die off without turning green. Barring that though, Ludwigia sp. "red" is supposed to stay pretty red, but it can be spendy sometimes.

Alternanthera reineckii is also an option.

In growing mine with the marinland double bright LEDs just one strip on a 29 gallon, I also have a 15watt stock flourescent strip to supplement. Here is one of my red crypts.

View attachment 71374

Those are pretty cool. I like the Wisteria in the back too. I have been considering trying to grow some of that. Looks like it is thriving in the LED set up.

Wisteria is a killer plant. If you are able to grow it, you will fall in love. I had some of this stuff in a small Betta tank and the nitrAtes always tested at 0-5ppm! It grows like a weed too.

aqua_chem said:
The thing about some ludwigia species is that they will grow green under lower light, or even just die off without turning green. Barring that though, Ludwigia sp. "red" is supposed to stay pretty red, but it can be spendy sometimes.

Alternanthera reineckii is also an option.

My Ludwigias are both doing quite well. The color varies at times, but both color up when I thin my floating plants and feed iron. Both grow well for me.

I got mine free from Club members :)
All my Crypts have been free. Even my
Crypt Nurii Pahang mutated.

Back
Top Bottom