Aqualight 30" T - 5 HO Double Lamp Strip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait54

Aquarium Advice Addict
Was wondering if anyone had this and your input on this..good or bad.

Also if I out this on a 54g corner tank is that med. light for my plants?

I was thinking of leaving the 10k and adding a 6.7k light combo. Your thoughts?

Sharkbait54 said:
It says coralife.

That's right:) I've heard good things about them that's perfect light for your tank. It will deff give you med light in your tank. Only catch is your 10k bulb it's a bit much for planted tanks it's more or less aimed at keeping corals. I've seen them on planted tanks though and it can work. I myself shoot for 67k or less and also go with a bulb that has the better par value. Are you using co2? Cause if you are 1 1/2-2 watts per gallon is where you wanna be. If pressurized co2 is what your using aim a bit higher if you want. If no co2 I'd stay on the low end to prevent a algae forest. Geisman bulbs or any t-5 bulb made in Germany are usually the best bulbs out there so look into those.

Awesome light, i have a few of them. Built really well and link togther in a flash

I didn't know they linked? Very cool I can use that for when I switch to SW.

I've ordered should be here in a week or so!!! Yay!!

Yup you link them all together side by side all the cords go through the end peice and you end up with one unit.

Ok got it in today looks great I'll post a pic later. Is 10k 6.7k combo good? Does that still leave me at medium light?

Ok got it in today looks great I'll post a pic later. Is 10k 6.7k combo good? Does that still leave me at medium light?

Well you have a 54 gallon tank and the light should be giving you 48watts per double tube so if you only have one then yes your under 1 watt per gallon. You need two of the lights to get you up to around 2 watts per gallon. I made a mistake earlier, I have the AquaticLife lights, and you said Coralife. What you have is a great light, don't know if you can link them together though. I'm thinking of selling my 30" lights, maybe your interested :) Upgrading to the timer t5HO with moon lights but 36"

Oh ok. Well yes I have the dual t5ho they give out 31watts each.

I've been looking at this and I might at least have med. light

Thanks to aquachem for posting this.

Oh ok. Well yes I have the dual t5ho they give out 31watts each.

I've been looking at this and I might at least have med. light

Thanks to aquachem for posting this.

So you have just over a watt per gallon which is still low on the light scale. 2 watts per gallon is medium, 3 watts is high. Right now I have 2.25 watts per gallon and everyone is happy, growth is great :)

That chart isn't very useful because it doesn't list the wattage or bulb length. Single, double, triple etc doesn't mean anything if you don't know the wattage.

Not to contradict you but I've heard multiple times from people on this forum and my lfs that watts don't really matter, especially in t5s cause they give out almost double what they have on the bulbs. It's more based on technology, reflectors, and even the brand of the bulb.

Again not to disagree I'm just very confused lol.

Its very confusing. The only true way is through measuring the LUX of the light (I'm a commercial photographer so light is my game). I agree that the tech side makes a difference, but the size of the bulb makes all the difference.
If I have a tank that is 20" deep but only 12" wide and I put 4 12" T5HO bulbs over it at 4" how is that too much light when the output of those light would equal the out put of a dual tube 24-30" fixture over a 30" wide tank? Going by the tube/bulb count doesn't make any sense. Yes HO kick out more light but not that much more, if I had to guess by eye I would say 25% more. Google it we might be able to find the answer LOL

Back
Top Bottom