Attaching plants to artificial decorations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpeedEuphoria

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I guess the title sums it up OK. basically I'm somewhat new to this hobby. I have read that it could be possible to have plants attach to fake decorations if they are not totally smooth. Just looking to see if this is possible or a good idea. For plants I'm sure it prob depends on which type, so for conversation I'm talking about Java Ferns and Java Moss.

For me I have a decent sized artificial log/tree that has holes and fake plants attached. I cut one part of the fake plant off and tied some Java Fern to it hoping it would grab onto it. Then if it did I would remove the other fake plant on it and attach another Java Fern growth.

Now that I'm getting more into this hobby and since I have such a small tank and desire more plants, I'm thinking that later on I will prob remove this decoration and get some driftwood or more natural decorations instead(rocks/clay pots/ect..). So I would hope that if I needed to i could remove the ferns and replant or relocate. I think this should be only an issue of being careful and taking my time, so to not tear up or disturb the plant as much as possible.

Thanks again everyone for your input

Last edited:
I know people tie plants onto driftwood all the time. You're probably right about the fact that some plants work better this way than others, but Java moss has no roots anyway, and readily attaches to objects just fine. Good luck, and post some pics of your progress for us so we can follow along :)

I know people tie plants onto driftwood all the time. You're probably right about the fact that some plants work better this way than others, but Java moss has no roots anyway, and readily attaches to objects just fine. Good luck, and post some pics of your progress for us so we can follow along :)

Hey I saw your 10 gallon setup the other day when I was looking around. What are GBR's? They look like nice fish

You are correct. GBR=German Blue Rams.
I actually found a guy on Aquabid selling "Long-finned" ones. I just saw GBRs at the LFS yesterday, and there is definitely a difference between the ones I got from Aquabid and the "standard" ones in the LFS. They are all pretty fish though - especially considering the fact that they are FW.

Shouldn't be a problem to attach either Java Moss or Java Fern to that fake ornament. With Moss when you're ready to remove it, just pull it off. You don't have to be particularly careful with it, because it grows back fine. To remove Java Fern (or other rooted plants) the key as you mentioned is to work slowly. It may be necessary to cut the plant into workable portions by dividing the rhizome, then grab firmly at the rhizome and work the plant back and forth while gently pulling away. The roots will slowly come loose. You may loose a few roots, but most should be fine. Once free reattach to something else as you please.

Back
Top Bottom