baby tears vs staurogyne repens vs hair grass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrudd013

Aquarium Advice Regular
Planning the plant list and figured id start w foreground. So heres the question. Baby tears vs staurogyne repens vs hair grass. Ill have a good lighting system and pressurized co2. Ill be using white pool filter sand over some plant spacific substrate. (Havnt chosen yet) There Will be hills and possibly more than one level. Id like to hear what has worked for people. What requirs pruning more than others etc. Oh and I do want an open spot or two so the sand is a part of the scene. Thanks. Any advice is appreciated.

Well good lighting really does need to be good for dhg and baby tears to be successful

Dhg and baby tears are a conventional carpet plant and will spread through the use of runners. Star repens is a standard stem plant that remains short. You need to cut and replant tops to replicate a carpet look. More frequent trimmings causes the plant to stay lower and grower thicker.

Dhg i have had good dealings with. It will spread like wildfire though so if you want an open area make sure you cordon off the area using plastic strips pushed into the substrate.

Star repens looks great also once the carpet look has been achieved. I currently have a mix of star repens and dhg.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What type of plastic strips? And thanks I was thinking about incorporating two or maybe all three somehow. Doubt I have the room for all three but its a cool idea.

Any thin plastic really as long as its easily cuttable and plyable

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What type of plastic strips? And thanks I was thinking about incorporating two or maybe all three somehow. Doubt I have the room for all three but its a cool idea.

Walmart sells flimsy citing boards. Worked great for this type of thing..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ill look into it and find somthing. Thanks. Still havnt decided exactly how I want it to look. Im thinking of changing my driftwood now and using manzanita. But I like thicker wood not just branches. Has anyone any experiance w the more colorful plants? Potamogeton gayi, nesaea red, nesaea pedicellata golden?

Back
Top Bottom