Background Plant Recommendations Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CinnamonPearl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm going to replace my camboba, so can anyone recommend a good background plant for this setup?

-20 gallon long
-Zoo Med T5HO two bulbs
-2.5 wpg
-Daily dosing of Seachem Flourish Excel
-light current in back from two HOB Aquaclear 20s
-No plant-eating fish

Thanks!

How about some stem plants, like pogostemon erectum or rotala rotoundafolia? They make attractive background plants.

Is the cabomba the only plant in the tank?

The answer to your question depends on whether you are interested in fast growing stem plants - anacharis, most of the hygrophilia, pennywort, etc., or if you are looking for rooted plants that take a little longer to grow, like swords, crypts, african water fern, etc. African water fern is a beautiful plant in my opinion, but it grows pretty slowly.

I have a 20 gallon long also, and they are not very tall. Some of the giant swords are not suitable for a shallow tank.

Your lights would be suitable for medium to high light plants. There are a lot of crypts that are just stunning.

Corkscrew Val, Rotala Macrandra, Rotala Wallichii, Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba', Rotala Magenta, Didiplis diandra, Myriophyllum mattogrossense, Hydrotriche hottoniiflora, are all great background plants and some of my favorites.
clear1x1.gif

They will also add a touch of non-green color to the tank except for corkscrew val.

Back
Top Bottom