Barley is an algea fix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Barley Straw would be best used in a pond setting, and it's commonly sold in the spring and summer times as a natural fix for pond algae control. The principles of it (as I understand it) is that the decaying straw releases lignins, which then absorb sunlight and produce phenolic compounds and H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide). The peroxide stays at the correct (And safe!) low levels to keep algae at bay.

There are also theories floating around, and some studies that suggest H2O2 isn't the active ingredient, and that there is a whole plethora of other byproducts of decomposition that helps.

The main thing though, is that for it to work effectively, it need sunlight or intense lighting. So, it would be best suited for a pond, and probably not an inside tank(atleast, it won't work as well).

i would put it in my canister in the middle tray...I think it would probably just make the water darker

You can put it into a canister, or put it in your HOB in a mesh bag, or I think even just hang it in your tank. Ill have to google and reassure myself about the sunlight thing.

Back
Top Bottom