Best Co2 Regulator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimmyhetten9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone!

I've set up a new tank and just finished cycling. I've been dosing Co2 daily with a DIY setup and it's going great. However, I'm already ready to switch to something more regular and get rid of the DIY setup. Been researching regulators but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend one in particular.

I really want a regulator with a solid solenoid and needle valve so that I'm not worry about end of tank dump or pressure fluctuations each day. I want something I can set-up and trust! I'm happy to pay a decent amount for quality and piece of mind. Any recommendations?

Setup below:

38 gallon
Planted pretty heavily
Fluval 306 filtration
Finnex Ray 2; 7k
CO2 daily
Freshwater; temp around 78 degrees
Eco complete substrate with fertilizer underneath

I've been looking at the CarbonDoser Electronic Co2 Regulator. Anyone have it?

thanks,

James

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 125
Personally, I think the best option is to get an O.K regulator (I use Milwaukee), and then get a pH meter. GLA has nice setups from what I can tell, but they're horrendously priced.

Here's the MA957 regulator I use on Amazon for ~$100: MA957 Regulator

And here's the pH meter you plug it into: SMS120 pH Monitor

Basically, you plug the solenoid valve into the pH meter, and set the pH you don't want your tank to drop below. Once you've done this, you can basically forget about the CO2 setup until you need to refill the CO2 tank you have it linked up to.

It's very easy to use, and it will save you a couple hundred dollars when compared to the higher quality, but ultimately unncessary GLA setups.

That is a less expensive set up for sure, but the OP was concerned with avoiding that end of tank CO2 dump that happens with cheaper solenoids and needle valves and didnt seem interested with having to constantly monitor the CO2 output. A GLA regulator would only cost about $60 more.
Ive personally found out that when I go the cheaper route that I always end up disappointed and ultimately end up upgrading to the higher quality stuff eventually.

You don't have to worry about end of tank dumps when you have the pH monitor. If you're worried about the solenoid valve breaking, that's another issue. I've heard a lot of people complain about the needle valve on the Milwaukee regulator, but I have yet to hear any horror stories involving a faulty solenoid valve.

The pH meter will cut off the solenoid valve if the CO2 begins to dump into the tank because the pH will start dropping below your preset threshold on the meter.

The only GLA regulators I see that are close to the price of the Milwaukee are meant for Paintball CO2 canisters. If you're using a 5lb CO2 tank, I don't think these will work (correct me if I'm wrong - never used one myself). I exaggerated the price differential, but you'd still be paying about 2x as much for a GLA ($200 for the cheapest vs $100 for the Milwaukee).

Interestingly enough, GLA actually sells Milwaukee pH meters (the SMS120) as part of their complete CO2 systems. Why not cut out the middle man? The pH meters eliminate all the hassle of CO2 dosing and any worries you might have about drastic pH fluctuation in your tank.

Im a little confused by the ph Monitor you linked. It appears to have a visual alarm (flashing LED) if the pH gets too high or low, but I cant find anything on there that says it can be used to turn on/off a solenoid. Maybe just the wrong link?

GLA regulators would be my recommendation if it's within budget. Decent warranty, accurate needle valves, and top notch customer service. But for entry level value priced decent quality, an Aquatek or Milwaukee will suffice.

I don't use a pH controller. I rely on a heavy duty timer, bubble counter, and drop checker. Works great for my needs.

Edit: EOTD shouldn't be too much of a concern as long as you get a decent quality "dual stage" regulator. EOTD horror stories are usually attributed to cheap regulators, DIY, and those who think they have a dual stage regulator because their single stage regulator has two gauges (ie. Azoo regulators). Actual Dual stage regulators should prevent EOTD. It's also good practice to monitor your tank side gauge for any drop in pressure and get a refill shortly after.

Last edited:
RE: Coyne: There is a flashing visual indicator when the power source is running, but it has a power adapter attached to it as well. You plug the solenoid into this power adapter, which you plug into your outlet, and it will cut the power to the solenoid when the pH falls below the threshold set on the monitor.

Look, I was hesitant about buying the pH monitor at first, and I know people get by just fine without them, but even given the price, it has been one of my most satisfactory purchases for the aquarium.

You can get by with a lot of different setups, so don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that others won't work perfectly well. I am just a big fan of making my aquarium as automated as possible, and this monitor/regulator combo struck a great balance between automation and aquarium safety (as well as price for me).

RE: Coyne: There is a flashing visual indicator when the power source is running, but it has a power adapter attached to it as well. You plug the solenoid into this power adapter, which you plug into your outlet, and it will cut the power to the solenoid when the pH falls below the threshold set on the monitor.

Look, I was hesitant about buying the pH monitor at first, and I know people get by just fine without them, but even given the price, it has been one of my most satisfactory purchases for the aquarium.

You can get by with a lot of different setups, so don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that others won't work perfectly well. I am just a big fan of making my aquarium as automated as possible, and this monitor/regulator combo struck a great balance between automation and aquarium safety (as well as price for me).

I have been doing the diy co2 for a while now but I am getting ready to go pressurized...just a couple of quick question regarding the controller... Does it come with the calibration solution?....How often do you have to calibrate it...

thanks in advance..

Back
Top Bottom