Best way of maintaining the pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pradeepcec

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello All,

My 20 gallon planted tank is currently under cycling and I am almost at the end of the cycle where my nitrite is 0, nitrates are high but ammonia stays at 0.25ppm. And the reason I am assuming is the low pH. My pH falls to 6 from 7.5 (which is the value soon after topping up ammonia of 4ppm)

So I want to know how can I maintain good pH? Caribsea Agronite sand or gravels are good for that? The API proper pH 7.0 says it should not be used with planted tanks.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Hello All,

My 20 gallon planted tank is currently under cycling and I am almost at the end of the cycle where my nitrite is 0, nitrates are high but ammonia stays at 0.25ppm. And the reason I am assuming is the low pH. My pH falls to 6 from 7.5 (which is the value soon after topping up ammonia of 4ppm)

So I want to know how can I maintain good pH? Caribsea Agronite sand or gravels are good for that? The API proper pH 7.0 says it should not be used with planted tanks.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

I'm guessing u have soft water? The best way to stabilise the ph in a planted tank would be to add Mg and CA. U can either dose these or add marble chips, limestone to your filter. I think you'll find the Api ammonia test will always show 0.25 (mine does aswell) it's a fault many have with the test. I'd say your cycle is complete.

What's the ph from your tap and the GH kh of your tap water?

Any co2 addition? (Pressurised)

I'm guessing u have soft water? The best way to stabilise the ph in a planted tank would be to add Mg and CA. U can either dose these or add marble chips, limestone to your filter. I think you'll find the Api ammonia test will always show 0.25 (mine does aswell) it's a fault many have with the test. I'd say your cycle is complete.

What's the ph from your tap and the GH kh of your tap water?

Any co2 addition? (Pressurised)

I got the crushed corals as it was available in the pet store. Not sure how where can I get the marble chips or limestone:)

I got the crushed corals as it was available in the pet store. Not sure how where can I get the marble chips or limestone:)

Crushed coral will work fine :) make sure u still add mg tho as coral only has calcium I think?

Back
Top Bottom