Blackout to elim BGA - CO2 on or off during?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kristap

Aquarium Advice Regular
I would like to get rid of some nagging BGA in my tank and hope that a couple of days in the 'dark' will eliminate it. I have pressurized CO2 running into the tank and wanted to know if I should leave it on the timer to continue during the 'day' or if I should shut it down for those few days. I will be gone for 5 days.

I'd just let it run normally. You'll simply have 'night time' CO2 levels for the next 5 days straight, instead of slight variations between the day and night levels.

this of course assumes you have the minimum 3dKh for CO2 injection. the higher your Kh, the less build up over night.

Turn it off. With no light, no O2 will be produced. Adding Co2 at night via pressurised can cause to much Co2 to enter the water. Nothing will need the Co2 while you are gone anyway.

Almost forgot the followup story. As I was leaving before my fiance for the holidays, I left him instructions for covering up the tank when he left in order to keep the 5 day window. However, I forgot to tell him how to turn off the co2. As a result, he wrapped it up very nicely - and then turned off the light.

When I spoke with him later in the day, he relayed the status and it hit me.... 8O 5 days, no light, co2 on. Wasn't sure what to expect so did my best to enjoy the holiday, ready to start over if necessary when I returned home. When I returned and unwrapped the tank - wow - that water was sooooooo clear! Everything was alive and the plants looked better than they ever have. They were bright, vibrant, and looked strong. The bba was nowhere to be seen. :D

So, I'm not quite sure what to make of it but I sure felt like we dodged a bullet.

Just curious, You say BGA in the first post, then BBA in the last, which did you have?

Glad to hear things worked out well for you. I would have recommended to turn it off as algae dieoff produces a fair amount of Co2, but apparently it didn't matter in your case :)

How does algae die-off produce CO2? Is this only true of BGA or true algae? Thanks.

It was something I read regarding green water, the massive amounts of dying algae produced massive amounts of Co2.. I'm going strictly by memory and can't remember for the life of me where the reference was.

It may well have been wrong since I can't find the reference anymore, but I do remember being told to add an airstone during the "blackout", I would assume to help with oxygenating the water..

Likely the dying algae will produce lots of nitrogenous waste, but I doubt CO2 levels will increase significantly. That's why it's always a good idea to do a healthy (50-70%) water change after you finish a blackout.

On the matter of leaving CO2 on or off: if you've got a pH controller then just leave it on, it will maintain a constant pH regardless; if not, turn it off as Simpte recommends, otherwise you run the risk of a harmful build-up that may smoke your fish :)

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
Just curious, You say BGA in the first post, then BBA in the last, which did you have?

Glad to hear things worked out well for you. I would have recommended to turn it off as algae dieoff produces a fair amount of Co2, but apparently it didn't matter in your case :)

oops - nice catch. Should have said bba, the slimey, green coating-type of algae.

Back
Top Bottom