Bringing out the red

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nelsontreyjones

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm trying to bring out the red in my plants. My nitrate is around 10 ppm and I dose higher level of iron. The last thing for me to try is better lighting. From what I'm finding red plant get red in high light because it basically the plant getting sunburned. So if I add a Finnex Ray2 36" to what I currently have would that help?

This is my thread.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/40-breeder-planted-235957-6.html

Yes more lighting will help but also if possible changing the T5HO's over to 2 6000K Midday Geisemann bulbs will also help. They have the best bulbs for helping to bring out color in non-green plants. I saw a big difference when I switched over to them.

Your nitrate level is good but you also need to be dosing higher phosphates. I run my high light planted tank at 2ppm phosphates. Phosphates are an important nutrient for helping the plants in producing the pigments to protect them against high light which is their red/pink/orange color.

Are you using CO2 or a liquid carbon?

Yes more lighting will help but also if possible changing the T5HO's over to 2 6000K Midday Geisemann bulbs will also help. They have the best bulbs for helping to bring out color in non-green plants. I saw a big difference when I switched over to them.

Your nitrate level is good but you also need to be dosing higher phosphates. I run my high light planted tank at 2ppm phosphates. Phosphates are an important nutrient for helping the plants in producing the pigments to protect them against high light which is their red/pink/orange color.

Are you using CO2 or a liquid carbon?

I meant to mention I also dose phosphates 3x a week el dosing. Do you think changing the bulbs will be enough or should I pick up the new fixture. I think the bulbs are a little on 20 a piece where the fixture is about 150.

That's them. I don't know about that brands reflectors. I have my Geisemann bulbs in a AquaticLife fixture that also has HID metal halides.

That's them. I don't know about that brands reflectors. I have my Geisemann bulbs in a AquaticLife fixture that also has HID metal halides.

I have this fixture Nova Extreme 2xT5HO | Current-USA . It has a single reflector of both bulbs vs individual like the more expensive ones.

This is what they say about their reflectors .

Our new polished individual single lamp reflector directs over 99% of the T5 lighting into the aquarium while a polycarbonate splash lens protects lamps.

What plants are you trying to get red out of? Some are more persnickety than others.

How are you supplying carbon? Excel/glut or CO2?

Are you dosing full EI or just phosphates? CSM+B?

That particular fixture doesn't have the greatest reflector, but I'm not sure that you would want to put much more than that on a 40B w/o CO2.

I tend to think that when it comes to red, light is what it takes. Whether or not you can support that level of light (ie, supply enough CO2, iron, phosphates, etc) comes next. You can't 'force' a plant to display nice colors by pumping in iron/phosphate.

I have this fixture Nova Extreme 2xT5HO | Current-USA . It has a single reflector of both bulbs vs individual like the more expensive ones.

This is what they say about their reflectors .

Our new polished individual single lamp reflector directs over 99% of the T5 lighting into the aquarium while a polycarbonate splash lens protects lamps.

I have that same light fixture. They also claim some pretty bold par ratings I emailed there tech team and they gave me thread ratings ~70@24" and ~250@6". On a 20g with diy co2 dosing comprehensive 2x a week and API leaf zone 1x a week do you think ill get the red out of my myrio red?

Last edited:
What plants are you trying to get red out of? Some are more persnickety than others.

How are you supplying carbon? Excel/glut or CO2?

Are you dosing full EI or just phosphates? CSM+B?

That particular fixture doesn't have the greatest reflector, but I'm not sure that you would want to put much more than that on a 40B w/o CO2.

I tend to think that when it comes to red, light is what it takes. Whether or not you can support that level of light (ie, supply enough CO2, iron, phosphates, etc) comes next. You can't 'force' a plant to display nice colors by pumping in iron/phosphate.
The plants I have are Ludwidgia sp. red, Ludwigia repens x Ludwigia Arcuata,Rotala Indica, Rotala Colorata, and Rotala wallichii. They are were red when I got them but turned green at some point.

I'm supplying carbon via a Co2 tank. My drop checker is a a green color, dialed back slightly from yellow (not sure what it is ppm wise). I am full El dosing.
This is my scdeule

Monday
Micro*(10 mL)

Tuesday
Phosphate*( 5 mL)
Iron (5 mL)

Wednesday
Micro*(10 mL)

Thursday
Phosphate*( 5 mL)
Iron (5 mL)

Friday
Micro*(10 mL)

Saturday
Water Change
Sulphate (1 Tsp)

Sunday
Phosphate*( 5 mL)
Iron (5 mL)

I've noticed though when they get to near the water line is the online time I see red. I already order the bulbs, do you think even with those that this light fixture is able to produce the light needed?

I have that same light fixture. They also claim some pretty bold par ratings I emailed there tech team and they gave me thread ratings ~70@24" and ~250@6". On a 20g with diy co2 dosing comprehensive 2x a week and API leaf zone 1x a week do you think ill get the red out of my myrio red?

The told me the same thing but I didn't believe those numbers. I emailed them about it because I couldn't find an par info on any site.

I have a rule when it comes to things like this: Never trust anything that you are told by someone who wants to sell you something. Works with aquarium products, and is just a good policy overall.

I think what you should do is see if getting new bulbs help out. It will be cheaper than getting a new fixture (which may need new bulbs regardless). Since you're trying to get reds to come out, Giesemann (as Rivercat's suggested) are far and away your best option here. If that doesn't work, you can think about changing something else. Have you tested your nitrates lately? Don't forget to shake the bejesus out of the solutions first.

Back
Top Bottom