Brown and red algae - HELP PLEASE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SDMac74

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am having a bad algae problem. On the glass, driftwood, rocks substrate - everywhere. It is brown hair algae and on some of the rocks it looks like red dots. It is mainly on the Mopani driftwood and the plants are covered on the top sides as well. I just cut all the infected leaves off and scrubbed the driftwood where I can reach. I have Convict fry in the tank so I can not remove the rocks and driftwood to clean it. I have tried more and less CO2 and lighting with no change. Any suggestions?? I feed 2 cubes of frozen Brine and Blood worms twice a day and crushed Omega One flakes for the fry. I have had this problem before but I removed all of the fish scrubbed everything down and turned the lights off for a week. That cured it then and it has been a few months. Now it is back!! Is there something I can do to keep it under control? It just makes my tank look dirty. I have never delt with a high light tank before and I have only had a year or so experience with Flourite and CO2 so I am still new to this type of tank. Any help would be appreciated. Oh - just tested the water and here's what the readings are: Ammonia and Nitrites are at 0ppm, Nitrates at 15ppm, PH at 7.4. I do weekly water changes religously @ 20-50%.

Thanks - Sam

60 gallon heavily planted South American Cichlid Tank. 4 three to four inch Firemouths, 2 five inch Red Severums, 2 three inch female Convict, 1 four inch male Convict, and about 50 1/8 inch convict fry. The food is eaten in 2-3 minutes at each feeding. I don't believe I am over feeding. Thanks for the link - I will try to figure out what type of algae I have.

Back
Top Bottom